Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do injectors make a noise?

Do injectors make an audible noise?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dunno

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
I've noticed for a few years that there's a sort of knuckly knocking sound from my car when idling. Nothing particularly loud, but I put it down to ageing and cold weather.

Since repairing the LPG injection system after almost a years' down time, I've noticed that the sound disappears completely when on LPG, and is immediately there again when I switch it back to petrol. Does that mean injectors make a noise? Or is there some subtle difference between how the two fuels burn?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yes they do, but not a knuckly knocking sound in my experience.

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
More a faint tickatickatick
sound :)
It would be reasonable to assume
that when you switch to LPG and the the sound stops that it was the injectors being the cause.
Cheers.

CCCMikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95. LPG. 513,000KM
Righto - just an old car mystery then! I'll try to record it one day.

Thanks for your replies.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
I've noticed for a few years that there's a sort of knuckly knocking sound from my car when idling. Nothing particularly loud, but I put it down to ageing and cold weather.

Since repairing the LPG injection system after almost a years' down time, I've noticed that the sound disappears completely when on LPG, and is immediately there again when I switch it back to petrol. Does that mean injectors make a noise? Or is there some subtle difference between how the two fuels burn?
lnjecters can become loud in my experience when dirty. A tuned spitting noise is made on operation and if you turn the ignition on you should hear them spit a few times to prime the combustion chambers, not like a tap as the lifters make when priming. Knuckling knocking at idle sounds like a lifter discription to me and could be oil related and rectified depending on some factors. Regular oil changes 5-7000 with a correct/quality oil will assist.