Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do NOT get a solid flywheel put in a manual VT

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
That's it, never get one!

Especially if you are after a car that sounds nice and does not sound like something is grinding and rattling inside your engine. The solid flywheel makes a terrible sound and ruins the tone of the exhaust.

Yes you pay less for the solid, so if you're not after a nice sounding car - go for it!

BUT...if you want your car to actually sound nice when going through the gears or driving slowly especially when going uphill, stick with the expensive dual mass flywheel.

The dual mass has a dampener where as the solid does not, which causes the rattle. Unfortunatly I was not told by my mechanic that there would be a rattling noise with the solid so I am stuck with it as it's not worth spending $2200 on another clutch kit unless I'm going to keep the car for another 6 years.

So that is my rant. Not really happy bit I just remind myself that it's just a car, it doesn't distinguish who i am as a person :)

So I hope this has helped anyone looking at getting a new clutch kit/plate.

Cheers :)

TonyJZX

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore M6
$2,2k what the hell!

unless it's a 300kW Clubsport R8 why bother

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
well that was the price to get fitted. But I am pretty certain the dual mass kit is around $1,400, give or take $150.

hahah, we are talking about Vt's, not the sexylicious R8's.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Fly wheel won't do that unless something is wrong.

Dual mass fly wheels are fairly ordinary to drive with.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Sounds like a loose bolt or a cracked flex plate, makes a horrid sound at low speeds right?

6 shooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VR Executive S2/ Kawasaki zxr250
yea it should sound normal you better take it back to the mechanic and let them know maybe he never torqued the bolts properly and its come loose
You dont want to be doing full rpm and the flywheel come flying off then youll be set back more than $2200

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
sounds like nothing at all to do with a solid flywheel vs dual mass, just sounds like dodgy installation, take it back

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Bought it, had it, no problems. The idea of going solid means that you'll only ever need to replace the clutch kit and machine the flywheel rather than replace the dual mass fly and buy the kit. Having the solid flywheel allows for the fact you wont lose as much power through the drive line (pending on what your pushing) as the dual mass provides a slight cushioning effect when engaged. It was put in place from factory to stop the sound of the gearbox as the getrags are alot louder than the t5's (VN VP VR manuals). My gearbox was loud, no problems with it at all. But it does depend on the car it goes into and its thrashed history as more thrashed will be louder than a baby'd gearbox. Although, you wont get the rattle sound above 1500rpm, only in high gears at low km/h.

So basically if you want to get it for these reasons, get it. But be aware it will possibly be loud, so remember the title of this thread is not a guide. its just an opinion.

graham7773

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim Wagon
I'm with lufkin and soop. Solid flywheel can't make noise unless it is not installed correctly. there is nothing about it to rattle/grind and 2DIE, it does not have a flex plate, only autos do.
A bolt left inside the bell housing would make that type of noise also. Possibly a clutch cover bolt?