Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do NOT get a solid flywheel put in a manual VT

Decicrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67
The dual mass flywheel is there to stop the GETRAG rattling its head off.
If you put a solid flywheel in you WILL hear the gear box rattling, usually at idle with the clutch disengaged is when it is at its worse.
When I did mine, I thought that I had put the flywheel on 180 out or left a few bolts loose. Note, some billet flywheels can be installed 180 out if not careful and a bit of force is used.
With mine I did notice a bit more gear noise when in gear but, I had to really listen for it, at idle it was a shocker!
Trouble with the dual mass is that if you are a bit of a sporty driver you may find you start to destroy them pretty quickly.
Unfortunately a billet is the only way once you start to add HP.

Its unfortunate that people don't get given the full story or don't do any research before making modifications, surely there would have to be a heap of threads on here about billet flywheels.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Could be a loose pressure plate. Which would be very poor indeed.

People are getting too soft, "ehhhh it makes some noise, someone get the sand out of my vag"... :D

(Not having a dig... just sarcasm)

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I put a solid flywheel in my VT V6 and it sounded horrible.
It kept making the noise and one day I power shifted into second and the engine exploded, causing an eathquake in China, killing millions of innocent children.

Really, it was fine. No noisier than the dual mass set up.

hendo93

black license in 2 yrs!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Old -VZ SS UTE-LS1-T56 New- VR SEDAN -V6 -AUTO
People are getting too soft, "ehhhh it makes some noise, someone get the sand out of my vag"... :D

i just fell off the couch lol!!

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
wow VT-565 that was a good call.

And I have taken it back to two different mechanics on the sunshine coast.

Ok guys well i really appreciate all your information, so thanks for that. I've had it checked by two different mechanics. First mechanic was the initial installer. They called up the suppliers and asked what's the go and apparently they are 'reknown to make noises'.

The second mechanic I took it to, took the clutch kit out and did their research as well and were told pretty much the same thing, the only way to get rid of the noise is to get a dual mass.

So rather getting a dual mass i got the solid plate shaved back a little. It has quietened down a tiny bit but it will come back i'm certain.
$482 wasted.

any other inputs?

JoeFish

Reaction score
Website
www.nuciforacarcare.com
Members Ride
98 VT Executive
and yes you can hear a rattle when ideling with the cluch disengaged, it takes about a minute for the rattle come and it usually only comes when the engine is dead cold.

Cheers

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
Holden uses noisy boxes... no matter what flywheel and clutch you have. They're not very bright, and as Top Gear Australia said in their first series, take the engine from the Holden, bolt it up to the gearbox of the Ford and you'd have a perfect car.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I would suggest if the fly was balanced properly as an assembly with the clutch it would be a lot better.

Reaper

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Sounds totally normal to me... both gearboxes can be noisey. As said losing the dual mass setup does away with the dampening so noises are inevitable. My mates who have Getrags, they have this really annoying whine constantly.

I have had a few T5 backed cars now and all of them have to some degree had that rattle at idle, and personally i think its the imput shaft only when it's unloaded. You should hear the T5 behind my big cammed v6 at idle, sounds like it's fked!! lol. but runs perfectly fine.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
I put an exedy HD Clutch and solid flywheel in my old VX. I don't recall and excessive rattle.

Maybe it's different in each case and depends on how worn and loose your box is.

And yeah I did...;)

Sent from my HTC Magic