Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do Performance Air Filters Work?

Hackney

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GT Mustang,2019 Honda CR-V VTI LX AWD.
Well,there you go,a few myths explained,I have always used K&N in my vehicles,mainly because you never have to replace.Just purchase the filter cleaning kit.Both cars have always felt more responsive,but I thought just maybe that’s me imagining.Thx for post.Xclnt!

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A K&N filter at 5 x price of an el cheapo for a couple of Kw gain and a fraction of a second acceleration in normal operation ?
I'll stick to the el cheapo replacements, and change them when they look dirty, once a year..

exanVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder
If you have an OTR you don't really have any choice but to use aftermarket filters. If you have the standard airbox, I wouldn't bother :)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I will be going pod once i buy a Mace CAI. Sure gains are minimal but you put together 6 of those minimal gain upgrades and you will have some noticeable increase.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I will be going pod once i buy a Mace CAI. Sure gains are minimal but you put together 6 of those minimal gain upgrades and you will have some noticeable increase.
I did dry pod/Mace CAI/Mace 1.9:1 ratio roller rocker kit.
And a tune in real time by The1
So they helped each other and yes noticeable increase.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
Good ol Lonny,great test and comparison,I was thinking of going k&n however after seeing that I’ll stick with Ryco,

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
that is a really interesting test that Jason did there .
Yep - using real world acceleration - e.g overtaking is where I want the response. I have K & Ns in both of may cars and have done this in past cars. I like them and can feel and hear a (slight) difference. Probably not worth it in $ terms over standard paper though.