Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do rim protectors work?

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
Hello guys, these question came from curiosity because my rims have been not in the best shape due to the past owner (guard rash.............. yay!).

and i have seen these small pieces of rubber (usually red) around the rims to be exact and was wondering if they work?

other then parking better is there a way to protect the rims from getting damaged?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
https://www.rimskins.com.au/ ????
Bloke in our street has them on his VW SUV. He hasn't hit a kerb to find out if they work, but they look good.
Other advice is not let wife/GF try to do parallel park.
My wife complains that I park too far from the gutter, my usual reply is asking her if she can walk that far. But she is the one who gutter rashed my one and only damaged rim.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes they do look nice, and yeah you gotta be cautious with who drives your car.
Got to make sure you know how they drive and that you trust them in general.

And I bet you let her know every time she speaks on your "parking skills"
At times I do park a little further out from the in order to prevent it.
I just don't know if these work.

Thanks for the link, I shall check them out

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They work protecting the rims for those little glances of a gutter....A good rub they are useless.

The best way to protect rims is to avoid rubbing them against any concrete or alikes.

As for blaming females....In my line of work, I tend to see more gutter rashed rims by male drivers than female drivers....But hey, most males try and fob it off to the female doing it, to save their "macho" image.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah, so essentially parking correctly, as i get used to driving the ute (only got it a few months back) i shall get better at driving and parking, but i will say it is not a small car, yes the pride of man will be the downfall of us all.
thanks for the information sir

would you say it is worth getting them though? or does it depend upon the price?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
yeah, so essentially parking correctly, as i get used to driving the ute (only got it a few months back) i shall get better at driving and parking, but i will say it is not a small car, yes the pride of man will be the downfall of us all.
thanks for the information sir

would you say it is worth getting them though? or does it depend upon the price?

Personal choice......Personally, I drive various cars throughout the day and don't have any issues parking them and scraping gutters and alikes....

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Try to buy tyres with a wide lip that protects the rim. They work really well and look good too good