Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do they fit???

C

classicboy

Hi all I'm a newbie to this forum, and I have a tech question for any knowledgeable forum member.
I have a VB with power steering, can I convert it to a VN rack?
Will it fit straight in or will it need different intermediate shaft? mounts etc?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Regards.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Only way you can use a VN rack is use a VN engine K frame. The power steering in the VB-VKs 6 cylinders are the same, the V8 ones are all the same. All the same bolt holes. It was changed in the VL onwards, have different bolt patten that can't be copyed, only the use of a VL-VS engine K frame

C

classicboy

Thanks for the quick reply, is the difference only the rack mounting different?
I.E is the rack width the same? is the input spline the same?, are the hoses the same fitting? Or if I fit the VL-VS K frame will everything else fit?
Thanks again.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Yup the rack mounting is different. Rack width is the same in VB-VPs. The spline are different in VL-VPs i think. The hose's are the same.
But yes if you fit a VL-VS engine K frame everything else should bolt up. Only think there though is the engine mounts. If a V8 no worries. But a 202 they won't fit. Don't know if there is a Holden inline 6 engine mounts for fitting onto a VL-VS engine K frame

C

classicboy

So if I use the VL to VP cross member and I use the VN intermediate shaft to connect the steering column to the rack, the bottom of the steering columns are all the same? Will I be able to interchange the steering intermediate shaft from a VN to a VB?
Thanks again.