Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

do v8's really drink that much?

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
yes ls1's definately have poor fuel consumption from factory, spend some money on mods, eg diff gears, and mafless tune, and exhaust system, basically let the engine breathe and fuel economy increased dramatically.

but dont get caught up on fuel consumption when u drive it hammer and tonges all the time.

djvsa

Reaction score
everyone seems to be going away from the v8s these days coz of fuel, but reality is that even a 6 goes through fuel these days, so i say get an 8 instead, more fun, who cares what it costs to run, a few mods as u guys say and it will make a change to the fuel bill, but still hammer it right?

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
i bought a k&N filter after 1 yr of driving it oiled my airflow meter up and it started running like a pig to it to holded they told me that the filters do it.
Anyhow i thought what a crok of crap,they put a standard filter back in and said in a few weeks the oils film will go away and it will run proper again LOL
Still i though yeah yeah whateva.
After 2 weeks it started running properly again LOL
They charged me 200 bux to find the problem and could not fix under warranty as it was aftermarket LOL
Just be carefull :/

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
so i guess they cleaned the air flow meter, and refitted it, and continued to charge u 200 bucks, :ranting:

but oh well at least its fixed

Jeffro74

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wanna bee SS
they actually done nothing to the airflow meter they said it would clean itself,they checked everything (they charge like 85 an hour at holden LOL) and finally checked if the airfilter needed replacing then found the uni filter in there then put it on that.
But seriously went heaps better after that and fuel consumption has not moved.

1Mart

Reaction score
Members Ride
LX8 Adventra
PWR chip

Have Holden Adventra LX8, and interested in thread comment on PWR chip as a petrol saver?.... where do I get one, how much, what are the drawbacks... e.g. is warranty affected?

tysonsvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute m6
comparison
old car -was a 94 vr sedan v6 auto, no engine mods.
new car -02 vy ss ute manual, just pod filter.
-- i am only paying $5-$10 more a week on fuel now as i was with the old six

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
iv got my fuel acconomy in my vyss down to 13.3-14.5 in traffic depending on how hard i drive it, was at 15-16 driving it hard, but when i look at the km's left till empty it dropped from 230-180 with in 15klm's although that was in traffic and dropped from 200-180 while sitting at a set of lights for 5mins waiting to turn cause it was so busy. with my fuel acconomy currently at about 13.5l/100

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
oh yeah, no mods or tune to it either, its factory stock, just not planting the foot everywhere.

Weissen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Lets do the sums (roughly);

Lets say;
6cyl does 10/100
8cyl does 13/100

And you drive an average of 400km a week.

So..
the 6cyl will use 40 litres a week.
the 8cyl will use 52 litres a week.

Now lets say petrol is $1.25 a litre for example.

The 6cyl will cost $50 a week for fuel.
The 8cyl will cost $65 a week for fuel.

That's a $15 per week difference between running a 6 and an 8 cylinder (roughly speaking) or about the same as a six pack of Heineken or half a bottle of Bourbon per week.
Is it worth it? That's a value judgement you will have to make for yourself.

For me, $15 a week for an extra 100+hp every time I turn the key is well worth it!! :yeah:
I say go the V8. :thumbsup:

P.S. Here's a hint, the REAL cost in running a V8 is not in the fuel costs, it's in things like higher insurance premiums, more expensive and more frequent tyre changes, more frequent servicing, higher potential vehicle depreciation with higher fuel costs expected in the future, higher costs if something major goes wrong in the mechanical department and add to that perhaps an extra speeding fine or two.