Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

do v8's really drink that much?

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
the REAL cost in running a V8 is not in the fuel costs, it's in things like higher insurance premiums, more expensive and more frequent tyre changes, more frequent servicing, higher potential vehicle depreciation with higher fuel costs expected in the future, higher costs if something major goes wrong in the mechanical department and add to that perhaps an extra speeding fine or two.
I agree with your conclusions about the slightly higher running costs, they really aren't that much higher. But I have to disagree with a bit of what you said above...

1. Insurance and rego are more expensive - no argument there. About $500/year more for me, although this will vary from state to state and from driver to driver.
2. Higher potential depreciation - I don't think so! Not if you bought the car 2nd hand anyway. V8's retain their value better than the cooking models (although I can see your point about potential for value loss if petrol prices skyrocket)
3. Higher cost of mechanical repairs - perhaps, but again I think this is unlikely, a lot of the components are shared with basic models so it's really only engine and some driveline parts that could be more expensive, and really they don't break any more than the equivalent 6's.
4. More frequent tyre changes and potential for speeding fines - not for me! I leave the traction control on 95% of the time and I have cruise control - end of story. It's not as if the 6's can't spin the wheels or exceed the speed limit. If you're a hoon, you'll drive like a hoon regardless of what motor your car has.

So after purchase, it costs me an extra $25 a week to have a V8 - I can enjoy the performance and tow a heavy boat without any dramas. Everyone needs a hobby or 2, and the car and boat do that for me.

Weissen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
2. Higher potential depreciation - I don't think so! Not if you bought the car 2nd hand anyway. V8's retain their value better than the cooking models (although I can see your point about potential for value loss if petrol prices skyrocket)
Just wait till fuel hits $1.50+ a litre and watch big car prices tumble. Not a matter of IF but of WHEN. Holden is already hurting and secondhand V8's are cheaper than ever right now.

3. Higher cost of mechanical repairs - perhaps, but again I think this is unlikely, a lot of the components are shared with basic models so it's really only engine and some driveline parts that could be more expensive, and really they don't break any more than the equivalent 6's.
It's the engine and driveline I was actually referring to.
No, they don't break any more often than a 6, but when they do, expect to pay more. Fact of life.

4. More frequent tyre changes and potential for speeding fines - not for me!
Clearly not everyone is as disciplined as you, hence the higher insurance premiums for V8's.......:whistling
The potential for using up rubber and doing a bit of excess speed now and again is greater with a more powerful car even without "hooning" (hate that word), of that there is no question.
I mean that's the reason why you got an 8 in the first place, for the performance, not so you can tool it around in 6th at 50kmh right?

So after purchase, it costs me an extra $25 a week to have a V8 - I can enjoy the performance and tow a heavy boat without any dramas. Everyone needs a hobby or 2, and the car and boat do that for me.
Agreed!:thumbsup:
They are well worth the slight extra costs IMO.

Last edited:

Reaction score
If anything the fuel prices are going down, not up. But seriously, if you are the kind of person who struggles to fill the tank when fuel prices change 10 cents a litre then a V8 is probably not for you. They obviously use more fuel than a V6. As Enhancedss has said, exhaust, diff & edit reduces the factory consumption by quite a lot. They obviously cost more in Reg & Ins. The engine costs more to repair/service (two more cylinders, spark plugs etc.). Rear tyres suffer a bit more since they don't have to smoke up to lose tread, they just get placed under more torque. However I have found if you have lower the vehicle quite a bit, the camber error will kill the tyres faster than the accelerator pedal. But who cares, it's a V8. If you are always worried about the purse strings, I wouldn't get one. I owned a VY V6 before I got the V8 and in my opinion the V6 had plenty of power, felt great to drive, just didn't have that V8 feel and sound, that's all.

Weissen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
If anything the fuel prices are going down, not up.

Yes, for this month maybe.
In the longer term, fuel prices are influenced by overseas events that we have no control over.

Something like the resulting bloodbath in Iraq if/when the Americans finally decide to leave them to it, or if the Israelis decided to drop a nuke on Iran is all that it would take to destabilise the middle east enough and double the price of oil overnight.
What would our big thirsty 5.7's be worth then?
Somewhere between nothing and F-all would be my guess.

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
First up, never owned an 8. Righto, that out of the way, I would say go with the 8. That's what you want right? I almost bought a standard Spac over the S/C version, then I realised that I didnt want a standard S, so very glad I did to, because unless you pay with cash, 5 years is a long time to drive a car that you dont like! As for the whole fuel thing, who cares? If you want economy, go and buy a diesiel Peugot (im sure I just made some really bad spelling mistakes!), but if you want the V8 more than economy, then the choice seems clear. Dont be the guy driving his car, see's the one he wanted and thinks, "I wish I had that".....

Reaction score
>What would our big thirsty 5.7's be worth then?

Again, I really don't think the majority of V8 owners are short of a buck. If the recent hike in fuel prices were of great concern to people in the market for a V8, then sales for these models would be struggling. If the value of a V8 really did slump as fuel prices increased, then demand for the V8 would be down.

Quite the opposite...

"Demand for V8-powered Holden sedans – the thirstiest models in the Commodore range – has soared."

http://www.news.com.au/sundaymail/story/0,,20967849-23272,00.html