Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

do v8's really drink that much?

djvsa

Reaction score
Guys

im new here, just like to ask, im actually looking to purchase a vu ss ute in the near future, having never owned a v8 before and all this talk about i shouldnt get one coz they drink so much, i just want to ask anyone out there that has a v8 are things that bad? i just cant resist the ss ute and ill be buying one anyway as i can claim it through my business anyway, maybe purchase a second older car later and use the ute on weekends, what bout lpg later on? will that make a difference? anyway, i hope some of u can answer my questions

thanks for ur time

cheers

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
man i can tell u this, we have a CX8 Adventra, approx 2 tonne of car...it drank a fair bit, 13-14 on highway 18-19 in town, we got a PWR chip for it, it now uses 11-12 on highway and a bit better in town. (we also have a K&N filter). now in a VU ute which should be a bit lighter and what not u shouldn't use much, i think PWR said they had a ute that did 10L/100km with a chip in it...so if ur willing to get a few things like chip, filter, maybe even exhaust your going to get good economy...

depends what your right foot says about it.

djvsa

Reaction score
mate really appreciate all that info, any idea what sort of money im looking at for a chip? also a good exhaust? sorry if these are silly questions, ive only just started looking into this recently

1Westie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S2 SV8
Mate, it really depends on how you drive it. I've got a VY SV8 and general driving (ie not playing little boy racers haha) I average between 11.6 and 12.4 liters per 100km however drag off several cars at lights and test your 0-100km/hr times and it can quickly go upto figures like 18 or 19 liters per 100km

djvsa

Reaction score
1Westie said:
Mate, it really depends on how you drive it. I've got a VY SV8 and general driving (ie not playing little boy racers haha) I average between 11.6 and 12.4 liters per 100km however drag off several cars at lights and test your 0-100km/hr times and it can quickly go upto figures like 18 or 19 liters per 100km

thanks mate, yeh i thought as much, i used to own a 200sx and even though it was a 4 once u hammer it the juice goes real quick, thanks for the info, but if i can just ask one more question, roughly how much would i expect to pay for a real nice sounding exhaust?

cheers

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
Do they drink? Yes. Be Gentle. Or generous to Shell.

I paid $600 for a twin 2 1/2" dual mandrel free flow sports exhaust to VYII SS. So worth it. Makes your holden sound like a real V8. Also I would hope that for an older model it would be cheaper (but maybe not)

barbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Monaro CV8
its all upto how you drive them, ive herd of people regreating selling their v8s for a v6, just to find the difference is really that much.

but yeah in saying that i was able to go through a quarter of a tank in 40kms and i wasnt doing burnouts :)

djvsa

Reaction score
Puggle said:
Do they drink? Yes. Be Gentle. Or generous to Shell.

I paid $600 for a twin 2 1/2" dual mandrel free flow sports exhaust to VYII SS. So worth it. Makes your holden sound like a real V8. Also I would hope that for an older model it would be cheaper (but maybe not)

$600 is pretty good, economy wise i would hope u noticed a difference in the amount of juice it went through, was it significant difference or not really?

ssute57l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS UTE
Mate i think you would use more fuel with the exhuast, you wont stop booting it because they sound great (depends how disiplind you are), if you going to do exhaust try to also do the extractors at the same time, if your on a budget just do cat back.

djvsa

Reaction score
ssute57l said:
Mate i think you would use more fuel with the exhuast, you wont stop booting it because they sound great (depends how disiplind you are), if you going to do exhaust try to also do the extractors at the same time, if your on a budget just do cat back.

yeh i reckon ur right about that mate, i can just imagine how good it would sound. anyway, couple of weeks away from making the purchase, will see how we go, but i know one thing, that once i get it, i will spend quite a bit more modfying, at least wheels, exhaust, and suspension