Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

do v8's really drink that much?

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
V8s dont drink all that much more than V6... maybe 2 - 3 litres more per 100km... depends how they are driven though. The VY SS 16.2lt per 100 K The calais 6 13.7. Both mainly city driving, I've gotten the SS down to about 9lt/100k, highway driving though. If i could i would go the v8 over the 6 any day... not much difference at all!

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
My vt berlina 5.7 got done to 8.9 per 100k on the highway and about 15 on average around town.
The v6 slightly better on the highway but a fair bit better around the town.

Puggle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SS Man Sedan Cosmo
YES! Definitely get a V8 and do those mods you mentioned. I only did cat back but well worth it. Most people on these forums post an improvement in fuel economy after mods. I definitely drink more now because it is too tempting to jab the throttle whenever possible. Wouldn't know if I have an economy improvement-sorry.

The exhaust place across the road here gets people bringing in brand new V8 Holdens to replace the exhaust. Such rubbish on there standard.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
i'm back...our chip was $500 on special at the summernats and we got to keep the old one, bad news is that unless u see PWR at a show it will be $1000 and u have to give up the old chip...try and find a few guys that also want a chip and they can reduce the price...K&N is like $100, hope thats all good stuff.

EDIT: 600 posts!!!

djvsa

Reaction score
big_stretch said:
i'm back...our chip was $500 on special at the summernats and we got to keep the old one, bad news is that unless u see PWR at a show it will be $1000 and u have to give up the old chip...try and find a few guys that also want a chip and they can reduce the price...K&N is like $100, hope thats all good stuff.

EDIT: 600 posts!!!

cheers, forgive my ingorance but what exactly is K&N?

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
djvsa said:
cheers, forgive my ingorance but what exactly is K&N?

Its a replacement air filter element.

K&N link

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
yeah high flow filter...everyone reckons they are great...my VS goes fine with a normal panel filter lol. (our V8's one is panel aswell)

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh, my vr v6 went better with a k+n filter, i got one of the panel filter ones, i noticed a better throttle response and was a bit smoother thruogh the rev range, this has been good to read as i'm getting a vy ss, and looking at mods for that, they do go better and get slightly better fuel economy with mods, like exhaust and air filter or cold air intake, as they are breathing better than they were and aren't as choked up.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
oh yeh, what do the vy ss go like with the factory cai on them, are they worth it, or are aftermarket ones better?
i had the s/c ecotec cai on my vr v6 and that cost $70 allup and was better than the $400+ aftermarket cai's, so just interested to find out for mine, thanks.