Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

do ve's have the accelerater lag like vz's?

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
Do VY's suffer from the same lag? I havnt noticed it because I come from driving a 2.8ltr patrol diesel, everything seems fast to that!!

no vys dont have electronic throttle control, and u have the older ecotec motor, i drive a vs 5 spd and its the same as the vy motor

Daggy082

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8
Yeh I knew it was an ecotec just didn't know if they had the same throttle control... Sometimes it pays to have older technology that's been tried and tested

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
my cuz drove a ve and reckons it had good throttle response. like one previous poster said they may have tweaked it a bit better over time.
i do notice most of u guys have v8's so that must help too, cos even if there was hesitation u could still pull out of danger cos u got the power to do so.
:( i miss my good ole 5litre vn. just not the fuel bill haha.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeh I knew it was an ecotec just didn't know if they had the same throttle control... Sometimes it pays to have older technology that's been tried and tested

yeh mate they got cable, yeh u cant go wrong with the older stuff sometimes ey. the biggest quarm i have with the newer cars is that its great to get good fuel economy, but sux when u have to change ur o2 sensors and coils around every 100k and more than likely expensive cat converters not far behind, it makes me wonder sometimes.

Daggy082

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 3.8
Ive been in a alloytec powered VE berlina and it was slow!!! I couldn't believe how slow it was off the line... Is it normal for them?

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
yeh mate they got cable, yeh u cant go wrong with the older stuff sometimes ey. the biggest quarm i have with the newer cars is that its great to get good fuel economy, but sux when u have to change ur o2 sensors and coils around every 100k and more than likely expensive cat converters not far behind, it makes me wonder sometimes.

Actually the new technology is better there are positives to this. Less moving parts no more throttle cable getting stuck for what ever reason.
Down side hard to fault and in some cases slow reaction time as stated in this thread.
Remember the times were you had to set the timing with the timing light and now you dont have to fiddle around with it.
this is the same you dont have to worry about making sure you installed the accelerater cable properly. because its electronic.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Can't say I ever had an issue installing a throttle cable.

Electronic solenoids are they bane of my life.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Is an M5 BM down a German Autobahn enough perspective for you?
And BTW I used to tune GP bikes for a living before I retired so I know what GO is. I'm talking **** your pants GO.

We've gone off topic now but I find it interesting that you know what decent power is (GP bikes and M5s), yet you think with a foot plant in the VE Alloytec, you're required to 'hang on'. Apples and oranges.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The VE is a family car but driven properly it aint slow. Gearing ( and the near 2 tonne of lard ) seems to be the biggest thing that slows it down. In drive at 100 k the engines only idling so response is sluggish BUT knock it back to 3 or second to bring the revs up to peak power at 5 ish and yes you have to hang on.
My mrs nearly pooed her pants the first time i demonstrated this.