Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do VF commodore still suffer from timing chain issues ?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
So you think it is about $2000 to fix ?

Mate, you're looking at buying a VF. As long as it's serviced properly it's a non-issue. You're overthinking it.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
My timing chain went a few weeks ago, only got 115,800kms on the clock. Perfect service history and everything, I don't flog it or anything (dunno but the previous owner but he was a middle aged bloke). Now I'm not going to go into the full details of the whole story because it's a 7 page thread that you can read here, but Holden Customer Care covered the cost of $2300 (even though I'm out of warranty).

But it's back at the dealership now because it's still having trouble.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
My timing chain went a few weeks ago, only got 115,800kms on the clock. Perfect service history and everything, I don't flog it or anything (dunno but the previous owner but he was a middle aged bloke). Now I'm not going to go into the full details of the whole story because it's a 7 page thread that you can read here, but Holden Customer Care covered the cost of $2300 (even though I'm out of warranty).

But it's back at the dealership now because it's still having trouble.

I was about to reply there's been numerous threads on timing chains, but I don't remember any that were VF's. I did think it may be that VF's weren't old enough yet, then here you go 115,000 Km's and same problem as VE's - they definitely didn't fix this in 2008, many with the same problem after 2008, annoying because I think they are a good car and the V6, especially the 3.6 is a good engine. A shame the car is let down by this and power steering problems with 2014 models.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
weren't old enough yet, then here you go 115,000 Km's and same problem as VE's - they definitely didn't fix this in 2008

without dismissing the obvious issue Snortings has had, I'd reckon there'd be plenty of VF's with over 100k kms on them, considering the oldest are now 6yrs and there were plenty of hire cars etc amongst them, yet we certainly haven't seen the proliferation of timing chain issues on here as we did with VE.

Sorry to hear Snortings, hopefully you get it sorted (snorted?) out soon..

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
No. If you happen to get an alloytech that has the known timing chain problem, you're looking at around a $1500ish fix, as a one off. Considering you're after a VF however, where the issue has been sorted, as long as proper maintenance is carried out (ie timely oil changes) you won't be changing chains at anywhere near 100k-150k intervals.

I'm with this guy. You don't need to replace timing chains at all unless a problem rears its head with your specific engine. The early Alloytecs are one such example of a defective part (timing chain) that needed to be rectified, but timing chains snapping and lunching an engine are so remote, it's not even worth worrying about. Timing belts on the other hand, need careful, scheduled replacement or they WILL snap and do damage.

Graemevfsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf commodore
a timing belt or chain needs to replaced on every vehicle that has one roughly every 100,000 to 150,000 km.
the early ve alloytec did have an issue of premature stretching which caused problems but I have not seen anything in the vf range because they addressed that issue somewhere in 2008/2009.

to your original question:
no I don't think you will have timing chain issues with the vf range apart from the normal maintenance.
If a car has a timing chain it should be good for around 400,000 + kms if the car is serviced properly.
My old vs commodore was still going strong at 315,000 kms and that hadnt been touched.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Doesn't fixing the timing chain cost something like 4 grand ? So you need to do that every 150k ?

I mean if you don't fix it the chain blows up and you need to replace the entire engine. I payed 5 grand for a replacement engine in my VZ commodore about 5 years ago.
If thats the case nobody will buy a used 140,000 Alloytec on any VF.
(I have been told this) Funny thing is those pay day lender have had a rush of 5K loan and you guessed it for the reson "My timing Chain has Gone"
Sad

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
If a car has a timing chain it should be good for around 400,000 + kms if the car is serviced properly.
My old vs commodore was still going strong at 315,000 kms and that hadnt been touched.
Different Engine as my Buick Engine VR has done 340K