Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[QLD] Do Windscreen wiper scratches and roadworthy go together ok??

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Windscreens have limited shelf life regardless. After a number of years they breakdown and become hard to see through with sun glare. The other issue is they get sandblasted after a number of years. The etching acid you mentioned requires a mechanical buff to make it work. If you have the buff you might get the scratches out but if they are fairly bad you could be throwing money at a problem that the acid won't be affective anyway. Like I said only place I could buy it from was online.
Buying the chemical from a Jeweller is like going to a bakery and asking them if you could buy some flour. They may or may not sell it too you, chances are they will say no. But like buying flour from a baker out of 150 bakeries you might find one willing to part with some materials.

Last edited:

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
i will call up monday for a replacement price

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Novus repairs windscreen scratches, chips and cracks as well as replacing windscreens.
GT Glass does the same and they have mobile techs just like Novus.

Both the above have operators in Cains :eek:

Give either or both a call and have a chat... often it may be better to polish than replace, especially if the windscreen is rare, expensive or unavailable.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I was talking to somebody a couple of weeks ago (maybe longer) & he said he replaced his windscreen (vy) for $150.00 (l thought it would have been dearer). I think he mentioned Windscreen o'briens. Maybe wrong on that?

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
Novus repairs windscreen scratches, chips and cracks as well as replacing windscreens.
GT Glass does the same and they have mobile techs just like Novus.

Both the above have operators in Cains :eek:

Give either or both a call and have a chat... often it may be better to polish than replace, especially if the windscreen is rare, expensive or unavailable.
gave novus a call yesterday and it was $350
i got a polishing kit on its way for $60

I was talking to somebody a couple of weeks ago (maybe longer) & he said he replaced his windscreen (vy) for $150.00 (l thought it would have been dearer). I think he mentioned Windscreen o'briens. Maybe wrong on that?
i can pick one up for $150 online but not installed

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ haha, a new windscreen in the back seat won’t help the roadworthy pass :p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
i got a polishing kit on its way for $60

If the scratches are bad enough, polishing may leave low spots on the screen that can cause vision and wiping problems.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If the scratches are bad enough, polishing may leave low spots on the screen that can cause vision and wiping problems.
From my research on the product you use, if the scratches are deep enough to leave low spots the marks won't come out anyway.