Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you believe in black magic?

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
A friend of mine passed away tonight. The doctors said he death was sudden, and the culture here doesnt allow for autopsies. At the funeral, the family was rumouring it might have been a jilted lover or someone who poisoned her. Then the husband said it was probably 'black magic.' She was cursed?)
I know science has a lot of things that cant be explained...

But what kind of weird harmful 'magic' have you encountered?

brokenikon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Maloo: 2008 VE SV6: 2004 VY II R8 Maloo
I used to be based in a remote Aboriginal community, and they had a strong belief in black magic, usually around when somebody died. For instance, a fatal rollover would be the cause of problems in the community for months, because somebody cursed the driver. I couldn't point out that maybe the drunk and stoned driver in the sh*t car with it's sh*t wheels on the sh*t dirt road might just have something to do with it, not black magic, because that would be just plain silly. Clearly black magic was the culprit here.
Or the amazing time when the community got mobile phone coverage, and evil spirits started calling the girls saying they were going to do evil things to them. Very patient evil spirits mind you, must have been hanging out for ages for someone to stroll into the community with mobile reception so they could finally strike and unleash their evil upon the world. Provided they had phone credit.
Or, the incredible storm rock, which if people touched would guarantee rain and storms, and usually some fool would touch it, right about this time of year up here. Spooky, right?
These are just some of my encounters with the supernatural world, and if you can't pick up where I stand on the issue from what I've written...it's because I've put a spell on you. Obviously.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I believe in Black Magic, I've heard **** disappears in Darwin all the time.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
A friend of mine passed away tonight. The doctors said he death was sudden, and the culture here doesnt allow for autopsies. At the funeral, the family was rumouring it might have been a jilted lover or someone who poisoned her. Then the husband said it was probably 'black magic.' She was cursed?)

So you claim that science can't explain lots of things, but you state that the culture here doesn't allow autopsies (where is here?). So it's not that science can't explain lot's of things rather that black magic fruit cakes don't give it a chance.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
Any magic performed by a black magician is black magic? I believe in it - here's proof!

tumblr_l1wpyfXO5z1qzf3qeo1_250.jpg

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01

Never encountered any black magic, white magic, god magic(miracles) or any other kind. I have encountered many very superstitious people who think they have. A decent education would probably cure them, unless they have a psychotic mental disorder of some sort, just as religiosity, another superstitious load of crap, falls with the more education you have. Science provides knowledge, superstition provides speculation and fear.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Firstly I'm really sorry that you lost your friend, very sad.

Personally I am not a believer of black magic, or any sort of magic - all smoke and mirrors with no scientific basis IMO.

Take it easy.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's funny how many people dismiss this type of belief.

The human mind is a powerful thing, in many cultures where a belief system is so strong and ingrained from a very young age, black magic, voodoo, and many other types of unexplained phenomena does exist.....to a point.

If you have such beliefs, and someone put a "curse" on you, your mind would make it very real. Take so called miracle cures. The mind plays a huge part in curing the body. You hear stories of people having uncurable cancer and other illnesses that just disappear. A lot of people may be very positive and really try to get through a terminal illness, but the word "cancer" can work the opposite way. You may believe that the treatment you are getting will fix you, but subconciously, as soon as you hear the word cancer you think "****, I'm going to die". Where as other people really believe that they will be cured and have some sort of alternative treatment. This may just be a placebo physically, but mentally, the mind believes it will work so it does.

Same thing with voodoo and black magic, if a person's belief in it is strong enough, they can make the curse a reality. And I'm not talking about what you see on TV, like the movie Thinner, I don't believe a curse can be put on a person without their knowledge. That is the whole point of a curse, you do it to their face to make them fear it.

Education can't cure generations of culture and a deep seated belief system. Many people do things out of custom, but a lot of them actually really believe what they are doing. This is what makes it very real in their minds.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
It's funny how many people dismiss this type of belief.

The human mind is a powerful thing, in many cultures where a belief system is so strong and ingrained from a very young age, black magic, voodoo, and many other types of unexplained phenomena does exist.....to a point.

If you have such beliefs, and someone put a "curse" on you, your mind would make it very real. Take so called miracle cures. The mind plays a huge part in curing the body. You hear stories of people having uncurable cancer and other illnesses that just disappear. A lot of people may be very positive and really try to get through a terminal illness, but the word "cancer" can work the opposite way. You may believe that the treatment you are getting will fix you, but subconciously, as soon as you hear the word cancer you think "****, I'm going to die". Where as other people really believe that they will be cured and have some sort of alternative treatment. This may just be a placebo physically, but mentally, the mind believes it will work so it does.

Same thing with voodoo and black magic, if a person's belief in it is strong enough, they can make the curse a reality. And I'm not talking about what you see on TV, like the movie Thinner, I don't believe a curse can be put on a person without their knowledge. That is the whole point of a curse, you do it to their face to make them fear it.

Education can't cure generations of culture and a deep seated belief system. Many people do things out of custom, but a lot of them actually really believe what they are doing. This is what makes it very real in their minds.

I understand what you are saying but even in these circumstances it isn't real no matter how much someone believes it is. You can point a bone at me all day long and it isn't going to do anything. That shows that it's just the superstitious delusions in the believers mind that does the damage, not that evil eye, bone pointing etc works. I'm not dismissing the beliefs, I know people hold them, I'm saying there is no logical reason to hold them and no logical reason for me to pretend there is.

edit: Education is the only thing that has a chance at curing these types of beliefs.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Yeah Ive done a lot of reading on it and from what I gather from a lot of people its not magic as such, its more the human mind be coerced into a certain belief.

Its almost like...positive and negative thinking. If the victim is open minded and is inclined to believe in a curse then a person can put one on them. However if they are strong willed and are not open to that belief, it wont work. However there are a lot pf people out there who believe in the traditional form of magic.

If youve ever seen something like a love ritual, its not weird incantations and locks of your would be targets hair. Its almost meditation and I believe its more of a...confidence boost, rather than a spell. It gives some people that extra kick of confidence needed to go up and talk to someone you fancy etc.

Black magic is just someone making you believe that harm will come to you. Youre always looking over your shoulder almost looking for something to go wrong.

Its not something I personally believe in, however I do know a lot of people that do. Its quite interesting to look at.