Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you know what ute this is?

Serra16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 Omega Z series
Hello everyone!

I'm just wondering if anyone can identify what ute this is? I have found it in among some of my Pops old photos. There's no label on it. He owned a Holden ute, purchased from Murgon (SEQ) in 1951. This ute however has a chevy badge, but it looks to be from around that time.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)
Unkown Ute.jpg

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I was going to say the badge looks like a Chev Badge,
Probably early to mid 50's Chev, because its got that Holden FB / FC look about it.
Where I could be completely off target.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
1949 -52 Chev ute built by Holden on a Canadian chassis. No, I am not that old, but Mr Google’s memory is.

Edit … well, yes I am older than that, but I don't remember that far back.

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Chevy is my guess, with Father and Son doing a service on the wonderful MM.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
What happens when you are in self isolation, and have time to fill ?
You go digging in your library, looking for Norm Darwin’s book “The History Of Holden since 1917.” Below is my short take on what he has written.

That Chev above ^^ is an evolution of the 1938 GMC grilled and badged ute.
From 1940 the 15cwt (750kg capacity) chassis was imported. Holden had tooled up a new body and the running boards became ‘inboard’. These utes were used by the Australian Army.
In 1944 the wheel base was extended from 113.5 inches to 115 inches, and Chev grille and badges used,
In 1949, a new grille, with imported new doors and front end panels were mated with the older body and tray. That model continued until 1952, a year after the release of the Holden 48-215 ute.

I hope that I have interpreted all that correctly. There are other chapters about Chev sedans and coupes with engine specs, etc, but I don’t know if they are relevant.

Serra16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 Omega Z series
Chevy is my guess, with Father and Son doing a service on the wonderful MM.

MM? You mean the car in the back ground? You can tell what it is??

Serra16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 Omega Z series
What happens when you are in self isolation, and have time to fill ?
You go digging in your library, looking for Norm Darwin’s book “The History Of Holden since 1917.” Below is my short take on what he has written.

That Chev above ^^ is an evolution of the 1938 GMC grilled and badged ute.
From 1940 the 15cwt (750kg capacity) chassis was imported. Holden had tooled up a new body and the running boards became ‘inboard’. These utes were used by the Australian Army.
In 1944 the wheel base was extended from 113.5 inches to 115 inches, and Chev grille and badges used,
In 1949, a new grille, with imported new doors and front end panels were mated with the older body and tray. That model continued until 1952, a year after the release of the Holden 48-215 ute.

I hope that I have interpreted all that correctly. There are other chapters about Chev sedans and coupes with engine specs, etc, but I don’t know if they are relevant.

So Holden and Chevy both had utes out in 1951?

I have a letter my Pop wrote that states he bought a 1951 Holden utility. It also lists every other Holden he owned, which from what I can tell was most of them (sedans cause he got married ;)) up until 1991 when he bought the VN (in my profile pic). What I'm trying to guess is if the car in the picture was his first ute. Also now trying to guess if Pop would mix Holden and Chevy up/use them interchangeably.

Last edited: