Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do you use Car Covers to cover your cars to protect from Sun and Rain

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Since I have run out of garages to house all our cars the poor old 1993 VR Commodore (sedan) has to be left outside to fight off the Sun, the Rain and other so I decided 18 -20 months ago to buy a car cover from Supercheap Auto to cover the car but lately I have noticed issue with the car paint (Heron White) or the White colours that series of the car.
Now after having a close look mainly the Bonnet, worst effected followed by the roof then the boot but the boot is not as bad as the roof and the bonnet (Both sides are OK) so I have noticed a issue with the paint as the paint has like crows feet or better still the cross hatch the pattern of what the car cover is from. Now I got my SCA Cut and Polish out + Plus Turtle Wax out so I cut/polished a testing area (eg 4 inch square on the roof) cut it, polished it, cleaned it, Turtle Wax it but still the same. After this I got some 800 grain Wet and Dry (used water) and I rub it for 15-20 seconds, let it dry then used SCA Cut and Polish and wiped it off and its only about 20% better so What Gives, does Car Covers Destroy your paint. Can I fix the Old paint, the Original paint from when the car was new back in 1993.
Any Info about this is Appreciated.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yep. Because mine is wrapped when it's off road I cover it with a Autotecnica Stormguard. Wrap is more sensitive than paint to scuffs and scratches. I was dubious about it marking the car but the inner liner is soft as, great fit and straps on tight. It's spent many months at a time in some nasty weather and not a mark on it, I'd use one on anything now without a worry

I looked at the supercheap covers and they were rough junk IMO. Windy days will sand your paint

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep. Because mine is wrapped when it's off road I cover it with a Autotecnica Stormguard. Wrap is more sensitive than paint to scuffs and scratches. I was dubious about it marking the car but the inner liner is soft as, great fit and straps on tight. It's spent many months at a time in some nasty weather and not a mark on it, I'd use one on anything now without a worry

I looked at the supercheap covers and they were rough junk IMO. Windy days will sand your paint
The issue I have might be i say not sure I possibly have micro scratches. Been reading for one hour about car covers and scratching the paint

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Online all over the place and direct from Autotecnica. I got mine on sale from the Automotive Superstore
Yes found them on ebay. I'll get the Stormguard not the Evolution series

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Likely need a proper compound and machine to rectify.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
Likely need a proper compound and machine to rectify.
Done the roof yesterday with SCA cut and Polish compound and its 90% good. Yes need a machine to do it properly as the paint a hard as steel and i'm to old to do this. No doubt the cheap car covers cause these fine micro scratches even on a paint that has been on the car for 28 years. I'm going to buy a cover better than the original supercheap cover.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
You'll be happy with it mate
I think a proper 240V buff would be better but that possibly the only thing that I don't own yet, say yet