Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DOD (Displacement On Demand) system in NSW Highway Patrol Cars

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
I bought a stock one owner 12 months ago, a VE2 SS Thunder UTE 2012, with the auto and it had DOD/AFM. It told you the 8 or 4 cyclinder modes it switched to in the centre LCD instrument cluster screen, but you could not manually turn it off, which was pretty crazy really.
It was not very fuel efficient, and at 260kw I was not happy with the power, as I also own an late MY17 VF2 SSV Redline M6 with the Walkinshaw 407 kit and custom tuned, the difference in power was huge, so I had the ute dyno tuned to 371 rwkw with added upgrades to intake etc, which involved having the DOD/AFM deleted from the tune, but the hardware is still fitted. It drastically improved my fuel economy when cruising and took away the drone from the exhaust in V4 mode.

Also as far as I'm aware, the VF S1 V8 did not have AFM, as I also owned a MY14 VF1 SSV Redline M6 for 4 years before my buying new my VF2 Redline and an auto was an option for me and I was advised the AFM was not included in the VF models at all.

All VF L77 Autos had AFM activated.

0Maka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I have a 2010 VE SS Auto AFM L76 (September build)
I have my AFM disabled via software

Anyone here know if its worth doing the D.O.D delete as a prevention maintenance, or is it only worth the D.O.D delete if upgrading the CAM shaft?

I'll assume with good servicing the actually lifters themselves should be fine?

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
I have a 2010 VE SS Auto AFM L76 (September build)
I have my AFM disabled via software

Anyone here know if its worth doing the D.O.D delete as a prevention maintenance, or is it only worth the D.O.D delete if upgrading the CAM shaft?

I'll assume with good servicing the actually lifters themselves should be fine?
Has anyone seen the YouTube story of the p.p.v. caprice a.f.m with about 80,000 miles on it. He brought it at auction and when he went into the engineering menu he found that it had been idling for 8760 hours. This is the equivalent of it idling 24 hours a day for a year. So if you factor in each hour idling is equal to 30 miles of wear on the engine it's an extra 260,000 miles (approx) on top of the 80,000 on the clock. Admittedly at idle and under load they run on all 8 cylinders. When they stripped the motor down cam, rollers and the motor in general was in very good condition. This had been a police pursuit vehicle. They're not all that problematic.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Has anyone seen the YouTube story of the p.p.v. caprice a.f.m with about 80,000 miles on it. He brought it at auction and when he went into the engineering menu he found that it had been idling for 8760 hours. This is the equivalent of it idling 24 hours a day for a year. So if you factor in each hour idling is equal to 30 miles of wear on the engine it's an extra 260,000 miles (approx) on top of the 80,000 on the clock. Admittedly at idle and under load they run on all 8 cylinders. When they stripped the motor down cam, rollers and the motor in general was in very good condition. This had been a police pursuit vehicle. They're not all that problematic.
The PPV was the first car to suffer loss of power steering assistance due to vibrations at idle caused fretting corrosion of the EPS connector pins… It’s all just part of GM QC/QA :mad:

Vibration at idle probably occurred due to fcuked up injectors which became an accepted problem down under later in the piece :p:p