Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dodgey vin plates?

Commodore_bum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
Hey guys I recently bought a vs and to my shock it has two Vin plates in the windscreen ones bolted in but the others just floating around I asked the person I bought it off why and they said they got the body from a wreckers and built it I can't check if the one bolted in is authentic so I was wondering if there is any way of getting to it without removing the windscreen and why they have done such a thing??

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
Is this the truth or the 'truth'... Sorry to be sceptical but with all the dodgy stuff going on with cars these days this seems more to me like an attempt to find out the easiest way to tamper with numbers. Don't touch them.

Commodore_bum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
No this is quite the truth I can show you pictures dude I need to get this second plate out so I can see the one in there to see if it's legit I will go take a picture of it

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Mate Id be getting both the VIN numbers written down, and then getting them both checked out through the police or RTA or whoever you see about this stuff,something has gotta be going on there,unless someone has made one good car out of two, and they have just put the VIN plate in there from the other car that was used for parts,maybe the engine or security stuff was from the other car,and they have left that there as holden use the VIN to access the security codes etc for that particular vehicles ignition key remote fobs,door,boot and glovebox locks and ignition key codes,these are all accessed using the VIN.But Id definitely look into it further and get both VINs checked for being reported stolen or whatever.

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Seems feasable. From what I understand, you can "reshell" a car and register it in Vic, so the body shell was purchased and then everything was transferred into the shell from a donor car.

nstone63

wants a new car
Reaction score
Members Ride
1988 VN Executive
I had a look at mine last night when I took the whole dash out... (was fixing the ac)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
There is a body number on the front left corner (last 6 numbers of the VIN) under the head light or on the lower half of the front gaurd. This should tell you id the body and "new" VIN match. This tag is painted the same court as the car so not that easy to spot and often missed by some one swapping things around.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Don't know about the VS but on a VY the VIN number is stamped into the floorpan on the drivers side and you can read it from underneath the car. Might be worth checking yours. Also sometimes production papers are left in the car, under the seat, carpet or head lining that have VIN numbers on them. I discovered the corner of a paper giving the painting instructions for a VN I owned and it had the VIN number on it.

Commodore_bum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
Yea that's the story they made one good car but yea I just wanted to no if there was a way to get to them without taking the window out as I said I can read the one that's bolted in and I do want to get it registered

Commodore_bum

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs executive
Can't* read the one bolted in as the other one floating around is covering it