Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

dodgy aircon or dodgy mechanic

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
the engine's ford sourced v6 peaks torque at 4750 rpm and power at 6000 rpm, on first and second, it refuses to push over 2400 rpm, and foot to the floor only sees the engine redlining at around 3000. it just feels like its lost one of its cylinders. the problem happens both with and without AC on. so I could say it is not the AC. I suspect the mechanic did some dodgy thing, like putting some water in the tranny ? or some other area? I could feel the huge difference before and after I sent the car to his workshop. before it was really smooth and quiet, just I do not have evidence, but I will refuse to believe it is my car, the chance that this is an coincidence is very rare. or he disconnect one of the spark plugs?

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
I suspect compressor clutch is shagged and causing strain on the engine making it seem rough. Only happens when you turn A/C on?

no, doesn't matter the AC on or not, it is like you lose power, from 10km/h to 40km/h, it is really harsh, and you can see the RPm is struggling, very hard to get close to 2000. and before, it is easy to hit 2500 or 3000 when you need it. to me, I push the pedal at the level I was pushing it to 85km/h, and the car is just sitting at 40km/h.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
If they haven't done something stupid like forgot to put the oil in for the compressor then yeah maybe he accidental bumped a spark lead off and hasn't noticed, or coincidental that maybe your harmonic balancer **** it shelf... should not be too hard to diagnose the noise if it is bad enough to drive you mental.

I have always wondered where we stand if you leave your "old" car with a mechanic and something "wears out" while in his possession.

Gudgeon Pin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore, VK EFI 5.0 Calais
i agree with VR38, in three mins probably just took a lead off.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
why not take it back to the mechanic, its probably not coincidence that it started having problems right after you took it there.