Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

dodgy aircon or dodgy mechanic

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
hi, guys, I just had an intereting story recently. got my car regased for the aircon last week in a place close to Hurstville, bexley area. the young mechanic said he only do cash, so I rushed to the nearby ATM back in 3 minutes. every thing seemed fine, until late that day, I noticed the car is very harsh, when I accelerate it make a growling noise. the trans has been flushed three years ( 25k) ago and before I drove the car to that shop it is really smooth, and I just came back from a high way trip of 250km.

today I changed the engine oil, but it is still the same. the three minutes is the only time I left the car to some body else. could some one give me some idea that what could he manage to do in three minutes? I suspect that he put some water through the dip stick of the trany? when I smell it, it is like my old VN, smelt slightly burned.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Id be trying to get hold of the shorter serpentine belt that was used on non A/C models, and bypass the A/C compressor,then see if the noise goes away.If it does,you know its only the A/C compressor.I bought one of these shorter belts not too long ago just to get out of trouble, when the bearings went in my A/C compressor.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
any reason you suspect he did something to your car? is trans oil will be milky if its got water in it.

i agree with brett, sounds like the a/c compressor is causing the problems.

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
when I do not use the air con, and the problem is still there, when you accelerate from 10km/h to 50km/h, it is really harsh, but once it is over 60km/h it is less noticable, between 60-100km/h sound ok, dosen't matter you turn the aircon on or off, it is the same. by the way, the car is not a VN, its a mazda tribute. sorry guys.

andyli

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executives
yes, I got reason that I suspect him. I clearly remember that morning, I went to gas station and filled in the tank, and drove to work, that car is really smooth. the work shop is on my way to work, so I decided to regas. after the regas, it is very close to my work(2km) and I am a bit late, so I am in a hurry and did not notice much. but when I finished my work about 5pm and started the engine, it sound weird, and then when I accelerated from low speed I felt the harshness. I am not picky, just you drive your own car every day, you know when some thing is not normal or right.

VN SV5000

1 Crazy Car Enthusiest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 355 WAGON MANUAL!!
it could be your compressor or even your clutch coil or if the noise is still there when your accelerate try changing the bearing for the hub where the belt sits on.. but in saying that the hubs i have tryed in the past to get offf are very hard to but i have managed to do 1. so even then it was a replacement compressor!!! what sort of vehicle is it??? commodore have alot of dramas with the compressors. if you need some help let me know as i do car aircon for a job.

VN SV5000

1 Crazy Car Enthusiest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 355 WAGON MANUAL!!
sorry didnt read it right lol its a vn or vp.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
maybe you got a dodgy batch of fuel?

Thats possible. Maybe give it until you top up again.

Or if you suspect the air-con, than remove the serpentine belt in the morning when the car is dead cold, and reverse down your driveway or something. Don't have it on for more than about 30 seconds and it will be fine. Just remember you will have no power steering or power braking.

If problem goes away, than its likely the AC is farked. Possible clutch is partially engaged.

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I suspect compressor clutch is shagged and causing strain on the engine making it seem rough. Only happens when you turn A/C on?