Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

dodgy cluster

miker75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman SIII 5.0 V8
The gauges on my VS Statesman are for the most part, reliable...

But there will be days when I look down and either the tacho or odometer are showing 0... even though I'm driving...or sometimes they'll show the correct speed, but then seem to lose power and drop to 0...

A couple of swift hits of the dashboard will usually get them right, but I'd like to correct it if I can (note, the speed alert still works perfectly even though the odometer shows 0, so I don't think it's a cable issue).

I saw someone mention there was a FAQ or something about pulling out the instrument cluster?? If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
its the first thread as a sticky in the VN-VP section, you'll see it. Its more to do with the feul and temp gauges though i think. But if you think its the cluster, you can pull it out pretty easy and grab another of ebay or somthing for 50-70 bucks and they pull apart real easy with a screwdirver and you can swap out the speedo and tacho.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
It will be the regulator behind the speedo and tacho. like in the ^^^ thread above look for a cracked solder joint in the PCB.

miker75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman SIII 5.0 V8
Thanks guys... the thread doesn't really explain how to get the cluster out (not that I could see anyway), but everyone seems to say it's easy, so I'll give it a go