Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

does a power steering rack from a V8 VH SL/X fit a 6cyl VH SL/X

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
Hi again guys, iv'e just got my hands on a power steering rack and pump and the steering little shaft from the column, from a SL/X VH V8 wagon, to fit into my SL/X VH 6cyl wagon

i was told that my wagon originally had PS but i dont know how to confirm this, anyways, im just about to get all the pulleys and brackets with bolts included of ebay

i have three questions, first one is are these two hoses the correct ones to get for this pump

Holden Commodore VH VK Power Steering Rack High Pressure Hose | eBay

Holden Commodore VH VK Power Steering Rack High Pressure Hose | eBay

second question is, my VH has a black engine and already has aircon which has a twin groved pulley, does the engine pulley needs to be 3 groved pulley or just need to get a longer belt to run both the aircon and pump together?

lastly, ive been reading up on the conversion but im getting conflicting info, some say K- frames does not need to be changed and others says it does?

cheers

Last edited:

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
ive just notice something else to, the thermostat housing on the black wont aloe me to bolt the top bolt of the pump to the top of the thermostat housing, can i use a red-blue housing, if i can would it effect the temp of the engine?

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
be careful buying hoses labelled vk-vh for the 6 cylinder as the power steering pump moved on most of the vk 6's I remember the pump was mounted low on the left side and had the reservoir on the inner guard . I thought the power steering pump ran off its own belt.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
be careful buying hoses labelled vk-vh for the 6 cylinder as the power steering pump moved on most of the vk 6's I remember the pump was mounted low on the left side and had the reservoir on the inner guard . I thought the power steering pump ran off its own belt.

thanks mate yeah i do know on the VK, the pump is on the lower left, but i can not use a VK one as the aircon compressor is in that spot

im guessing i have to get a blue thermostat housing so the pump bracket can fit on the black 6cyl

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
keep the manual steering rack, less stuff to break, manual rack has less drain on the engine and you need all the power you can get with the old 202s :p and the power steering rack aint that much easier in the old girls to turn.

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
id say the first hose ( the longer one ), cant remember with the pully, ( been about 20 years since i played with a 6cyl ) though it was at least 2 rib, k frame should be the same if its originally from a vh, vb-c were different mount angles

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Need a 3rd pulley to run the pump, seeing as you have aircon.....1 pulley for water pump, 1 pulley for air con and 1 pulley for power steer.....You'll also see, if you try a longer belt for the air and power steer pump, it will run on an angle, causing premature failure of the belt and eventually the pump pulley

Black motor pumps mount low in the bay (left side) and the reservoir mounted on the left side inner guard (as The Boozer mentioned).....

The belt is the normal V belt, like the water pump belt

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Put Ford steer in it if you want a light feel, else don't bother as Dirbatua said... IMO.

griezy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1982 VH SL-X Wagon
oh ok, thanks guys, from what I've previously read somewhere on here was power steering on a 6cyl was far to light (only was good for V8's which is what i was after, hmm im to far into it now, spend to much now, got the rack and pump, and I have all the pulleys and brackets and bolts now as well, all i need now are the lines and thermostat housing, i can find the top two lines but can not find the bottom metal lines that goes into the rack

once again thanks guys

Freedon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
worse comes to worst, get someone like enzed or pirtek to custom make the lines.