Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

does anybody know the series 1 v6 combution chamber size?

NZ3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 s1
Hi I have started down a somewhat dubious path of chasing a few extra ponies from the ol vn block.

I have some doubts about the compression ratio as i cannot find anything conclusive as to the cc's of the standard heads (series 1). The heads have been skimmed 010" and likewise the block has been decked to the same. With a 040" bore and flat tops, i am struggling to calculate the final compression ratio.

As i started this build before i had adequate knowledge to form a proper power plan, and im very much financially committed, Im worried im chasing my tail for negatable gains.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Same size as the sII/vp/vr heads.
If i can find them i can measure a set of stock vn s1 heads... but i think they're buried deep in a shed, or if you have a syringe and some oil do it yourself on yours.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
They are small, with true flat tops you are going to have some serious compression.

It's going to need a decent cam to make use of it without having to run some sort of exotic fuel.

NZ3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 s1
Thanks for your reply's,I am running what we call a super six series cam over here high lift and duration with 110 lobe separation if memory serves (commodores 040" and falcon 4L) will post some of the specs after work.
Heads fairly aggressive porting work, match ported manifold, internally balanced (delete balance shaft and double row timing gears)
coby extractors to a rage 2.5" exhaust no cat.
I had decided to chase the high compression path over fi (just personal preference) but i think the numbers are getting up there, still want to run on pump fuel!!
very minimal deck height.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The best guys to speak to would be the stock car guys, they get these things to sing nicely.

I had the exact same exhaust system on my old VN :)

Who is tuning it?

NZ3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 s1
Your absolutely right, I have been trying to find an in road into that scene, but sadly no joy yet.
As for the tune, at the time (some ten years ago, had kids, got broke haha) the memcal was sent by a local rebuilder to some crowd in Auckland, they were provided with cam specs, head flow and all other related info and provided a base tune to get the thing started. Now lies the problem, I know of no one in the top of the south who may be able to tune correctly, im not even sure we have a dyno here!!
The prom was cut and some type of chip installed, sounds like a basic tune more to take my money rather than provide any tangible benefits.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
10+ years ago, most likely it was sent to Torque Performance in Auckland, he would have been one of only a few doing it. Charged like a wounded bull no doubt.

Have a chat with delcowizzid (user on this forum), he's based in Windy Wellington and is the best man with a delco ecu this side of the ditch (although he prefers FI).

NZ3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6 s1
Immortality - Thank you for taking the time to offer your advice, Ill certainly look into this delcowizzid chap as it would still be economically viable to pop the car over the ditch.
And yes wounded bull is an understatement, my nether regions are still tender ten years on haha.
Thanks once again - top bloke!!