Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does anyone know how this works?

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Hi, Just wanting to know if anyone knows how these polished cans work;

RADIATOR OVERFLOW TANKS POLISHED STAINLESS 15 inch - eBay Other, Cooling Systems, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 22-Jul-10 16:12:05 AEST)

Untitled-1.jpg

I thought that the hoses needed to be at the top of the canister for it to work? And level with the highest point of the radiator?

I know it sounds stupid, but wouldn't the fluid just flow out the bottom of one of these?

Any ideas?

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
depends on your radiator they will work with some systems and some they won't

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
i dunno much about overflow tanks and the hoses that go into it?
but i know that the coolant when it gets hot will go through the radiator cap and flow into the overflow tank...when the coolant starts to cool down again, it creates a vacuum in the system and pulls the coolant from the overflow tank back into the cooling system, so definatly one of the hoses would go into the bottom of the tank for this purpose..pretty much, when the coolant expands, it goes into the overflow tank, when the coolant cools down and needs more coolant in the system, it draws it back from the overflow tank..the mechanics of the radiator cap will decide when the coolant goes to and from the overflow tank. so having the radiator cap being the one allowing coolant between the system and overflow tank, it wouldn't matter whether those tubes are placed at the bottom or top.

look up how a radiator cap works, they're abit more complicated then just a scew on lid.
im not so sure on what the other hose might be for..maybe a breather hose or something?

the bleed screw on the cooling system however is the highest point of the system..seeing as though when air is in a liquid, it automatically rises to the top and goes back into the atmosphere...this is the very reason the bleed scew is the highest point..air will go straight to the top of the cooling system.

hope this helps mate
cheers

Ace_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP S Pac
What he said pretty much sums it up. My 4wd has the same set up, not a nice fancy shiny one like that but has 2 pipes in the bottom, one in one out. Water gets hot in the cooling system and expands and needs somewhere to go as opposed to out on the ground. Then when the engine cools it goes back in as it shrinks down again creating more room. This means that your system is always full.

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
started doing coolant last week at TAFE:p hahaha...alreayd knew about the whole overflow thing, didn't quite realise how important a radiator cap actually was though haha

MY_84_VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Berlina/VX S Pac
Cheers for the info, so it shouldn't matter where I mount the overflow at all cause it just gets sucked into the tank when its hot and drains back to the radiator when cold :)

Ace_VP, just wanted to know where both you're pipes go on you're 4WD? Is it just one to the radiator? Whats the other one for?

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
that's exactly right..the radiator cap is like a valve and it'll decide when the coolant goes in and out, it would probably be better having the tubes at the bottom anyway..they usually use tubes that run down to the bottom don't they? i know on my vz ute they use hoses to the bototm of the overflow thank...this way if you unexpectedly lost a load of coolant, there's lesser risk of the tubes sucking up air into the system because the tubes are at the bottom where all the coolant is:D

hope your ok with the issue now, cheers mate

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
One of the pipes would have to run up to the top for it to work. You would need an outlet at the bottom which goes to your radiator then the other one is an overflow or breather which would have to come out near the filler cap.