Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I did this job today except it was the very front bolt on the passenger side. Mine broke off right behind the head of the bolt so there was heaps sticking out to get some vicegrips on luckily.

file.php

I found a new bolt from my spares collection bucket in the garage and re-used the old bolts torqued to ~40Nm. The manual recommends 25-35Nm. I think I'll probably swap most of em out with cap screws some time in the future.
file.php

Whole job only took a couple of hours.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I did this job today except it was the very front bolt on the passenger side. Mine broke off right behind the head of the bolt so there was heaps sticking out to get some vicegrips on luckily.

file.php

I found a new bolt from my spares collection bucket in the garage and re-used the old bolts torqued to ~40Nm. The manual recommends 25-35Nm. I think I'll probably swap most of em out with cap screws some time in the future.
file.php

Nice job, I got around fitting my water pump today no wind and the sun was out, removed the 3 idler pulleys then while fitting on the new one for the belt tensioner the lug where the bearing sits snapped off, the bolt was only a quarter on, bugger now need to replace that now, I don't think that one likes been removed.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon

file.php

file.php

Did you do both sides ?
The old bolts will be heat stressed, so I would keep an eye on them ;)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Bit difficult to get new hardware atm, I'll probably put cap screws in it at some stage. Might have replace the manifolds if I'm gonna do both sides. Been an L67 the drivers side has the coolant pipe much more of a PITA to do so the effort needs to be worthwhile.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yes, the drivers side is a bit harder,
But, better doing them sooner than later,
because if a bolt snaps on that side, it will be a major PITA, as you know, room is VERY limited.
I know, as I replaced mine, and the exhaust manifold gaskets a little while ago, as I had leaking Exhaust Manifolds, both sides,
and made sure I used copper-cote on the threads [being steel heads].