Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Mr max

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx commodore
The bolt (head) has snapped off... Will it be affecting performance?

Attachments

• DAF19514-C390-44B1-89F8-50694392D3E0.jpeg
    DAF19514-C390-44B1-89F8-50694392D3E0.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 263

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Not noticeably. You need to take the manifold off to extract the rest of the bolt, if you're lucky there will still be some bolt protruding out. Really common issue, lots of Youtube vids about it.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Your finger is in the way, if its not leaking then don't worry about it, you sure its a broken stud and not just a locating pin?

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
It broke a while ago. I can see some carbon build-up from the exhaust leakage. Can you hear it chuffing when you rev it (while you are standing there with the bonnet open and your head over the engine)?

Will it affect performance? More so the longer it is left. You need to remove the manifold and replace the stud and gasket. Leave it long enough and it could burn away some of the gasket face from the head.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Your finger is in the way, if its not leaking then don't worry about it, you sure its a broken stud and not just a locating pin?

His finger isn't in the way....Have a good look before commenting.

And I'd be replacing the stud sooner rather than later.....The longer it is left the more it will leak therefore the louder it will become

Aussie Trev

Reaction score
Members Ride
2 by VX Acclaim Wagon Series II 2001 & 2002
My first thought was "his finger is in the way" too, then saw that it was the stud on the right hand side of the flange that was broken. It looks to have broken off inside the manifold so there won't be much left to grab with a stud remover spanner. Most likely have to drill it and use an easy out.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The old back bolt on the passengers side exhaust manifold !

Know it well, Very common fault
The very same happened to my VY,
It looks that it has broken flush with the manifold, so if you remove the Remaining nuts, and then the bolts You should be able then use a pair of vide grips to remove the remainder of the stud from the head.
It must be repaired whether it is leaking or not, as it could cause exhaust gas’s in the cabin intake.
But
Before you attempt to repair it, Buy a set of bolts, high tensile, and use some copperkote / anti-seize on the threads so they are easy to install and won’t seize in the head,
Also grab some extractor gaskets, as they are better then the standard exhaust gaskets.
The passengers side is easier to do then drivers side.

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
My first thought was "his finger is in the way" too, then saw that it was the stud on the right hand side of the flange that was broken. It looks to have broken off inside the manifold so there won't be much left to grab with a stud remover spanner. Most likely have to drill it and use an easy out.
Lol I see now , probably have a better chance welding a over size nut on the bit that's left in the block after removing out of the way, the extra heat from welding the nut would help the stud to come out. Or just pay someone to have it done.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Update: I forgot to mention I purchased a set of OEM bolts off a seller on eBay, and also the Extractor Gaskets from another seller,
For what it’s worth, just get replacement the bolts, dont try and Fix/Modify the old bolts, as they are heat stressed and probably another one will fail, or snap off when tensioning them up.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Honestly it was my first thought, but then I looked before commenting....Unfortunately some don't look properly before actually commenting....They just comment for the sake of commenting