Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does anyone know how to turn off variable power steering?

Milesvtcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
Hi all, kinda had a bit of a scare today, story was I was coming out of a woolies car park and it was absolutely pissing down with rain and I couldn't see ****, I was waiting for a safe time to exit and the prick behind me kept beeping his horn at me trying to make me go, long story short I gave it too it and it cut loose sideways (stupid I know but I was mad) like full lock sideways and I went to correct it but the steering was super heavy, heavier than when I started the skid. I'd imagine this is due to the Calais standard valvatronic power steering because its speed sensitive and I was thinking it made the steering super heavy due to the wheel speed being 80km/h.
Just wondering if my claim is correct and if so is there anyway to turn it off so it will be like a normal commodore steering wise?
Thanks all

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The speed sensitive power steering effort is related to car speed not wheel (spin) speed. Don't be an idiot and let other people (idiots) influence your behaviour in a car.

Milesvtcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
The speed sensitive power steering effort is related to car speed not wheel (spin) speed. Don't be an idiot and let other people (idiots) influence your behaviour in a car.
I understand it's related to the cars speed not the "wheel spin speed" but I thought the speed the car thinks your going is determined by your rear wheels. That's my question, did the power steering stiffen up because the car thought it was doing 80km/h or is my idea false.
Feel free to correct me it's just an idea that I don't know the answer to

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
I would've thought the opposite. Your car thought you were doing 80km/h that's why your steering went hard.

Surely it can't be determined by actual speed, as that could only be determined by GPS.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think there is a misconception here. The speed sensitive power steering provides extra assistance at lower parking-type speeds. At higher speeds it just provides the normal amount of power assistance - the same as other model Commodores.

The only time I have had a similar experience to what you described is with my wife's VS Clubsport (non-speed sensitive steering) going around a roundabout when the car was cold. Since it did happen consistently, I thought it could have been caused by belt slip, low power steering fluid, or the (original) power steering pump on its way out. Anyway, the belt was adjusted OK, I topped up the power steering fluid, and haven't had a problem since.

Milesvtcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
I think there is a misconception here. The speed sensitive power steering provides extra assistance at lower parking-type speeds. At higher speeds it just provides the normal amount of power assistance - the same as other model Commodores.

The only time I have had a similar experience to what you described is with my wife's VS Clubsport (non-speed sensitive steering) going around a roundabout when the car was cold. Since it did happen consistently, I thought it could have been caused by belt slip, low power steering fluid, or the (original) power steering pump on its way out. Anyway, the belt was adjusted OK, I topped up the power steering fluid, and haven't had a problem since.
Seems like you and your wife have a good taste in cars
It's not an issue that really needs to be fixed its just something I was curious about
Thank you for the information though, maybe it was just a surge of fluid because it was a quick turn and that's why the steering went super hard instead of the light calais steering like I was expecting, to be honest it went from super light to a similar type of steering ergonomics as my dads 220i senator which feels nice and stiff all the time ‍♂️

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some HSV wheels and tyres will fix your super light steering (and look much nicer).