Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does my VE SS look written off

tjoel95

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt l67
Hi all

Update car is a stat write off so it’s not even repairable because of the rails no word on how much I will be getting just yet

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Bugger about the write off....Just make sure you take the advise relating to getting the true value of replacment.....You don't need to be out of pocket for no reason of your own....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You don't need to be out of pocket for no reason of your own....
Even if a crash is one’s own fault, out of pocket costs should be limited to the excess and hire car costs if that’s not included in your policy.… After all that’s why we have insurance, to limit our loss ;)

Insurance companies shouldn’t be lowballing people on their vehicle‘s value but it’s in their DNA to try and save lots of $$ which is why it requires owners to have eyes wide open by doing their homework :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Even if a crash is one’s own fault, out of pocket costs should be limited to the excess and hire car costs if that’s not included in your policy.… After all that’s why we have insurance, to limit our loss ;)

Insurance companies shouldn’t be lowballing people on their vehicle‘s value but it’s in their DNA to try and save lots of $$ which is why it requires owners to have eyes wide open by doing their homework :p

Yes, owners should have their eyes open and with the OP actually asking the question about his car, we should imagine he will take our advise on board and not get bent over by the insurance company for the pay out.

Hopefully he does and he is the one doing the bending, not the one being bent....:)

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I suppose it’s really a matter of taking the pay out value up with the at fault owner of the other car. In the end, insured or not, they are at fault and can be sued for the loss/damages.

So, it really just a matter of determining the value of the car. I believe that there are firms that will provide a written valuation for a fee. It’d be handy to have some sort of formal valuation (and the implied backing/support of a professional valuer) to present to the insurance company. If they don’t accept that valuation, then take the owner to court and let the owner take it up with their insurance company.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I suppose it’s really a matter of taking the pay out value up with the at fault owner of the other car. In the end, insured or not, they are at fault and can be sued for the loss/damages.

So, it really just a matter of determining the value of the car. I believe that there are firms that will provide a written valuation for a fee. It’d be handy to have some sort of formal valuation (and the implied backing/support of a professional valuer) to present to the insurance company. If they don’t accept that valuation, then take the owner to court and let the owner take it up with their insurance company.

I think you'll find the dealings will be between the OP and his insurance company...The OP's insurance company will then take it up with who ever from that....

The Op should get values of similar conditions cars currently for sale and use those values to argue whether he should get more that what it was insured for, if that's what the amrket is saying.

The OP taking the at fault driver to court is fraught with danger.....I personally took an at fault driver to caught for damages to a car and whilst I won the case, the person I took to court gave the middle finger to the court and took off interstate....

When I enquired at the court about this. the response was, I had to go to the state the person bolted to and go through the bulldust again....(this is just a short version, but people should get the drift of what goes on)

So at the end of the day, the Op should only deal with their insurance company and his insurance company can go through all the headaches of recooping the money for the car

tjoel95

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt l67
So update

Insurance offered me 27k after lots
Of arguing

But I want the car back so the cost of that is unknown yet hopefully I don’t get ripped on that

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So update

Insurance offered me 27k after lots
Of arguing

But I want the car back so the cost of that is unknown yet hopefully I don’t get ripped on that

The repairs and associated paperwork costs to get the car back on the road is something you will need to consider if you are planning to put it back on the road.

In all honesty, you are better off taking the pay out and looking for another car