Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does not start, does not turn over, check engine light

dwae01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais (sold), HSV Grange (sold), VZ Cross 6
I have an intermittent error that has occurred half a dozen times a couple of weeks apart. I turn the key and nothing happens. Sometimes I do it half a dozen times before it starts. After it starts I check a "Check Engine" message that stays until I clear it but the car runs fine. On a couple of occasions the error message disappeared without me doing anything. Sometimes there is a distinct delay between when you turn the key and the engine starting to turn over. Yesterday I could not start the car at all. I must have tried more than 20 times. Would not turn over at all. Eventually I went and got the other key and the car started first go (could have been a coincidence). After it started I turned it off and tried the first key again and it started first go. Sometimes the problem occurs when the engine is cold and sometimes hot. Usually when I put on the T2 to clear the DICs there are three error codes:

P0601 Symp 00 Replace Electronic Control Unit (ECU)
P1632 Symp 48 Immobiliser Fuel Disable Signal Received
P1668 Symp 00 Alternator L Terminal Circuit Malfunction

Working on P1632 I have done a bit of work on the ignition barrel bezel to make sure it contacts the nib of the key but that doesn't seem to have solved the problem.
Any suggestions?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Have to had the battery 'load tested' ?

Have you checked the wiring to the Starter Motor ?

Have you checked that all relevant earth points are in good condition ?

Have you checked the mechanicals and electrical aspects of the Starter Motor ?

If you are a member of your State Auto Club (you haven't stated your location in your Profile - it can help at times enabling other members to direct you to specific repairers etc.) RACV, NRMA, RACQ, RAA etc then call them to check the vehicle for you. It might be something they have previously experienced and could result in a quick and easy fix. Good luck.`

dwae01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that Benboy. Will do as you suggest and get back to the forum. Yes, I am a member of the RACV.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
"P1632 Symp 48 Immobiliser Fuel Disable Signal Received"

I have seen this. And this is from personal experience:

The bezel is not implicated. I looked at this thoroughly.

Remove/clear all not-present codes, including the P1632.
Also ensure the immobiliser is fully disengaged thusly (deadlock mode): close the doors. Press lock twice (long flash of indicators). Wait a couple of minutes. Press unlock twice (two quick flashes of indicators). If you come back and only press the unlock once and start the car, the immobiliser is not fully disengaged and will starve the engine of fuel over 60km/h.

If the P1632 error has persistence, a fault is in the immobiliser, not the engine unit (but your alternator is reporting a fault, which should be seen by a techie, ditto the ECU reporting a fault, but that may also be related to the immobiliser, IDK...). In my case, it was not correctly unlocking over multiple occasions. Odd, but that's the way it is. The P1632 has not been seen now for many months.

dwae01

Reaction score
Members Ride
A further observation on "won't turn over problem". Car seems to always start first go when cold. Sometimes when it does not turn over I can leave it for 10 minutes or so, sometimes with the bonnet up, and it will start. Not sure if it is relevant but sometimes when I stop when the engine is still hot I can hear a bubbling sound coming from the engine. Temperature gauge still running as normal. Coolant level correct.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
A further observation on "won't turn over problem". Car seems to always start first go when cold. Sometimes when it does not turn over I can leave it for 10 minutes or so, sometimes with the bonnet up, and it will start. Not sure if it is relevant but sometimes when I stop when the engine is still hot I can hear a bubbling sound coming from the engine. Temperature gauge still running as normal. Coolant level correct.

I consider it above being relevant that you have that bubbling sound checked out!

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hello.
This bubbling sound - is it with the engine running or stopped? Not suggesting it is related but you may need to bleed the cooling system.

dwae01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bubbling when engine has stopped. Will have a go at bleeding the system.

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
How are you progressing with this? Any joy?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Vz are bad for the ecu cooking being bolted to the engine they stop giving signal to crank .you can start them by bridging the crank relay with a wire my mates fitted 3 second hand ecus in his work car he's over it already lol