Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

does pcv hose need vacuum?

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
my question is does the posititve crankcase ventilation hose that goes to the throttle body need vacuum?
or can i get a mini pod filter and attach it to the pcv hose then block the throttle body?

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
No it doesnt. But disconnecting it would be illegal as it is a pollution control device. I ran a pipe off the PCV valve to a catch can on one of my cars, as leaving it open will release oil vapours all over the engine bay.

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
thanks
can u explain the oil catch can thing to me and what can you run to it?
wat does it do?

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just run the hose into a can that is vented thru a filter or gauze so pressure doesnt build up. The can will catch any oil that goes thru the hose and give the vapour time to condense. Unless your engine is stuffed and blowing excess oil into the engine it would be better to leave the standard system in place. I think super cheap sell oil catch cans if you really want one.

ashzv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN v6 s2 Berlina 5spd
its just that i cant use the standard system because im planning to run boost
3psi woohoo.lol
and instead of the boost being forced into the pcv breather it would be better to vent it.
untill i get the repositioned throttle body and i can relocate it

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
Actually my comments on the PCV valve were incorrect. You do actually need the vacuum to scavenge the system, as seen in this pic:
http://autorepair.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-625.htm

The constant flow of air in the system removes moisture from the engine and this would be compromised by disconnecting the vacuum. This will cause moisture buildup and sludge to form in the oil possibly shortening the life of the engine. The best solution would be to get a PCV valve from a turbo or S/C car as this valve is made to prevent the boost from entering the crankcase but allows vacuum to scavenge the system when the throttle is closed.

You can vent the breather side to a catch can but not the side with the PCV valve.