Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does series 2 bimodal exhaust drone if open permanently?

VFSSVfan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hi fellow enthusiasts,Has anyone removed the fuse & thus left their V8 series 2 bimodal exhaust open permanently? If so,does it drone much during normal cruising.

I have an automatic vf ssv series 1 with disconnected DOD & standard manifolds. I would greatly appreciate any information/opinions as I'm thinking of fitting the SSV series 2 exhaust , which is free from a mate, to get a nice v8 note. I also can get a bimodal HSV exhaust & wonder if that would drone if left permanently open.

Thanks for your help.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No need to change the whole exhaust, just do the rear mufflers.

With the bimodals open all the time, I don't think they will drone. You will have a different note, but not necessarily drony.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
No drone on my VF 2 manual, fuse pulled is not a massive difference. You need the full system as front on VF 2 is different, front muffler different.

57AJW

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
No drone on my VF2 auto with the relay removed to keep the bimodal on all the time.

Izzy1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Hello fellow VF fanatics, I currently drive a 2015 VF SSV series 2. I took the car for it's first service at 5000 km. Ever since picking it up from Holden I have been hearing squeaky noises as in the squeaky noise from the swings at the park. At first I thought she'll be right but whenever I slow down from 40 km/h to zero I can hear a squeaky noise coming from the front bottom of the car. I took it to holden and they said to me its excessive brake dust but for a fact I knew it wasn't that. As I was approaching my home I pressed the accelerator a few times in quick succession and I could hear the squeaky noise. Now from my suspicion it's got to do with the bimodal pipes or similar. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how was it fixed because it is killing me to hear my pride make squeaky noise as it is brand new

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The bimodal setup is at the rear of the vehicle so that can’t be causing a squeak at the front.

That’s not to say your exhaust isn’t squeaking near the engine pipes or damage has been caused and the exhaust is rubbing.

The first thing you need to do is get it up on a hoist and check for movement and not just from the exhaust but cross members and anything else that is bolted down.

Suspension is also worth a check.

Just to clarify what the dealership has said about excessive brake dust, are they saying it is the brakes squealing when pressure is applied which can be the case or are they saying that the build-up of dust is causing a constant noise?

Personally if someone said the latter to me I’d be taking the vehicle somewhere else, maybe another dealer or a suspension or exhaust shop or a local mechanic for advice so I could go back armed with info for a warranty fix if need be.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
If you pulled the fuse & changed the headers & cats to 4 into 1 and left the rest of exhaust standard from factory, would you get a better note than just pulling the fuse & leaving it all stock?

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
If you pulled the fuse & changed the headers & cats to 4 into 1 and left the rest of exhaust standard from factory, would you get a better note than just pulling the fuse & leaving it all stock?

If I was going to do what you’ve suggested I rather go the cheaper option and just have a catback with less restrictive mufflers fitted.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I've a full Walky exhaust on mine but had the bimodal retrofit to the rear cans. Drove around for a month with the fuse pulled and enjoyed the noise but have since put the fuse back in and think that it is far more comfortable when cruising around. May even sound a little better...certainly from within the cab. Still getting full noise at idle and over 3k so best of both worlds really.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

Not sure if anyone has done that here?

I'm going to fit aftermarket headers and cats and see if it makes it even better, normally 4>1 headers and cats make as system sound better. I' want to keep the bimodal option available, I drive out driveway at 4:45am each morning