Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does series 2 bimodal exhaust drone if open permanently?

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
So are there any adverse effects to the car or warranty implications at all with having the relay out?
I pulled mine out not long after I got my car but put it back in when I took it to the dealer for the 1 month inspection. (just in case)
I just recently pulled it out again because I hate the way that the sound comes on in a sudden burst rather than being constant. Gives me the shits.
I do the same, put it back in for the services (just in case), pull it back out again. I too don't like the sudden burst it gives as it closes then opens the exhaust.

KiwiSSVR-LMF

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Redline Sportwagon
I've a full Walky exhaust on mine but had the bimodal retrofit to the rear cans. Drove around for a month with the fuse pulled and enjoyed the noise but have since put the fuse back in and think that it is far more comfortable when cruising around. May even sound a little better...certainly from within the cab. Still getting full noise at idle and over 3k so best of both worlds really.
Hi Jarp, can you please check on the back of your car to see if the Walky standard muffler outlet pipes are the same diameter as the standard bimodal valve? I am thinking of doing the bimodal retrofit but just want to check that the bimodal valve doesn't restrict airflow if it's a smaller diameter. I have fears of spending a fortune on a free flowing exhaust only to restrict the end with the valve!

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Ok well after having my relay out since getting the car, the novelty has worn off and I have decided to put it back in permanently. I was driving along one night with a throbbing migraine and the drone became so unbearable that I had to pull over on the side of the road and put the relay back in.
I must say that it is a pleasant change to be able to cruise at 100km/h in silence and is something I have actually missed.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Ok well after having my relay out since getting the car, the novelty has worn off and I have decided to put it back in permanently. I was driving along one night with a throbbing migraine and the drone became so unbearable that I had to pull over on the side of the road and put the relay back in.
I must say that it is a pleasant change to be able to cruise at 100km/h in silence and is something I have actually missed.
Yep. I agree Zero. Choice is always good and sometimes silnce is golden. I'll hook my bi-modals up one day.

KiwiSSVR-LMF

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Redline Sportwagon
This is good because I am getting the W375 pack and was wondering if I should pay extra to get bimodal added (retained). My biggest gripe is that there is no option for fully open all the time in mylink.

But there is a work around. If you contact http://www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au/ these guys do a wireless remote that communicates with a replacement relay and you can effectively pull the relay by pushing a remote control button while you sit at the lights.

It's pricey, I was quoted $250AU plus shipping!?!? so I have yet to decide but I thought it was worth sharing when I saw your post.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
This is good because I am getting the W375 pack and was wondering if I should pay extra to get bimodal added (retained). My biggest gripe is that there is no option for fully open all the time in mylink.

But there is a work around. If you contact http://www.ultimateconversionwiring.com.au/ these guys do a wireless remote that communicates with a replacement relay and you can effectively pull the relay by pushing a remote control button while you sit at the lights.

It's pricey, I was quoted $250AU plus shipping!?!? so I have yet to decide but I thought it was worth sharing when I saw your post.

That is interesting and something worth looking in to, albeit a little pricey.
I don't know why Holden never made a 'permanently open' option in mylink, it would be a hell of a lot easier than having to pull the relay. I'm guessing it has something to do with noise regulations.

KiwiSSVR-LMF

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Redline Sportwagon
That is interesting and something worth looking in to, albeit a little pricey.
I don't know why Holden never made a 'permanently open' option in mylink, it would be a hell of a lot easier than having to pull the relay. I'm guessing it has something to do with noise regulations.
I'm speculating here but perhaps.... to avoid the customer complaints or media reviews of a droning exhaust note which won't be to everyone's taste. People love to bitch remember.

matt30186

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 Wagon
I think this is worth bumping as Ive had my series 2 redline for a while and had no idea I could do this! Has made a big difference for me. Now have that rumble all the way thru the rev range. Cheapest mod ever!

SimeVFIISSVRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
Turns out pulling the relay identified a squeaky valve in my left pipe.

Had been driving me absolutely crazy. This tiny "Chirp" when slowing to a set of lights...
I had been thinking that it was a brake piston getting somewhat stuck....
Squirted some lube up the pipe as you do... sorted.

Hey MOIRAE, what did you squirt up there and how please? I've had this for the past 18mths since picking up my SSV Redline (12mths old) and Doncaster Holden here in Melbourne have 'fixed it' 4 or 5 times now, including 'replacing something' last time which they thought would resolve it, but it's back again. Drives me bloody crazy driving in traffic and it's embarrassing chirping all the time.

I thought it was transmission or something initially as it was always coming up and down into 2nd gear on light load, but if you're under really light load it's also into 3rd. Holden originally said it was the Brembo's due to some open tech note re lubrication issues there, but that just quietened the dry screechy brakes issue (which I didn't have anyway) and had no effect on the chirp. Second time round they identified another tech note on the bimodal flap chirping and we can even replicate it by flicking the bimodal on/off through mylink now, so it's definitely that.

I've got it booked in with Port Melbourne Holden next Monday as Doncaster closed down recently, but if I can resolve it myself by squirtin a little somethin up there without wrecking anything, I'm much happier doing that as it saves me the ball ache of having to drop it off constantly.

Cheers

*** as a side note, I’ve just driven around in Sport mode (Auto SSVR) and the chirp is still there, suggesting there is still movement in the bimodal under light load in both normal and sport modes...

Last edited: