Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does series 2 bimodal exhaust drone if open permanently?

vk2him

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I don't get this, maybe I'm missing something?

If the Bi-modal doesn't open till 3K, if you pull out the relay/fuse it will never open cause it needs power to open?

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
I don't get this, maybe I'm missing something?

If the Bi-modal doesn't open till 3K, if you pull out the relay/fuse it will never open cause it needs power to open?

With everything plugged in, start he car/turn the ignition on. Go into the MyLink settings and turn bimodal on. This keeps the valve open at idle (for start up) it then automatically closes when you take off, and opens again based on revs, throttle etc.
If you pull the relay the car can't switch the valve shut, so it simple stays open.
If you pull the relay with bimodal off, then the valve will stay shut.

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
which relay? is it labelled?
nothing else in the car dependent on that relay?

any difference in performance or fuel usage due to pressure or other black magic **** I dont understand? ;)

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
which relay? is it labelled?
nothing else in the car dependent on that relay?

any difference in performance or fuel usage due to pressure or other black magic **** I dont understand? ;)

Next to the battery there's a fuse panel, the cover that goes over the battery will tell you which relay. The relay only controls the bimodal.
Yes it has a negative effect on fuel consumption, it sounds good so you drive harder haha

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
Well it's done. It's noticable >3000rpm now.
I'll give it a week or two and decide wether to keep it out or not

Chew78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Can someone please post a photo of which relay/fuse to remove series two ss

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
It is the black relay that ends with the numbers "128". Pull that one.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Manual sedan, hsv headers and cats, hsv floor section, factory bimodal rears with the relay pulled. Slight drone. Whisper quiet at cruising speeds though thankfully.
I'm wondering if the Bailey tip is doing anything to create the drone, given its designed to pump exhaust noise back into the cabin.
I've got a mate with a VF clubby, manual, same exhaust, relay pulled, zero drone at any stage.
On the outside both cars sound much the same, so I can't see there being much difference between the Holden and hsv bimodal mufflers.

bigjim, Im still chasing the middle section off a 340 Clubsport, does it all connect up well to the Holden rear mufflers? is it worth fitting the HSV centre section of the exhaust? will the HSV headers/cats hook up to the Holden centre section if I dont use the HSV centre section? I heard someone say to fit the HSV centre section because of the O2 sensors otherwise you have to drill a hole into the Holden centre section to accommodate.

Can you shed some light on this for me please.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
bigjim, Im still chasing the middle section off a 340 Clubsport, does it all connect up well to the Holden rear mufflers? is it worth fitting the HSV centre section of the exhaust? will the HSV headers/cats hook up to the Holden centre section if I dont use the HSV centre section? I heard someone say to fit the HSV centre section because of the O2 sensors otherwise you have to drill a hole into the Holden centre section to accommodate.

Can you shed some light on this for me please.

The HSV system will bolt up without issue in any combination. Headers and cats will bolt upto the factory catback.
As for the hsv floor section it will bolt upto the factory rear mufflers without issue. You just need to make sure the hsv system has the ball/knuckle joint rather than a flat flange.

In regards to the O2 sensors the factory manifold and cat assemble contains both upstream and downstream O2s. The hsv headers only accommodate the upstream O2.
Depending on what year/engine the HSV floor section came off it will have O2 bungs in it. Otherwise you need to have them welded in, cheap and easy done though.
If you run hsv headers and cats with the factory catback you will need to have bungs fitted for the downstream O2s

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
The HSV system will bolt up without issue in any combination. Headers and cats will bolt upto the factory catback.
As for the hsv floor section it will bolt upto the factory rear mufflers without issue. You just need to make sure the hsv system has the ball/knuckle joint rather than a flat flange.

In regards to the O2 sensors the factory manifold and cat assemble contains both upstream and downstream O2s. The hsv headers only accommodate the upstream O2.
Depending on what year/engine the HSV floor section came off it will have O2 bungs in it. Otherwise you need to have them welded in, cheap and easy done though.
If you run hsv headers and cats with the factory catback you will need to have bungs fitted for the downstream O2s

ok cool thanks for that info, my headers and cats came off a MY15 340 Clubsport R8, so what did you do about the O2 sensors on yours?