Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does series 2 bimodal exhaust drone if open permanently?

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by VFSSVfan, Mar 11, 2016.

1. vinnycolouda

vinnycolouda New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    Gents
    Do the VFII bimodal mufflers fit to a VF1 exhaust with no mods? Thinking of buying a 2nd hand pair for my VF1. I'm led to believe the flap is also open with no power. Is that correct?
    Cheers

2. bigjim92

bigjim92 Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VF SSVR
    They will fit and the valves will remain open

3. vinnycolouda

vinnycolouda New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    Thanks mate

4. vinnycolouda

vinnycolouda New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    Gents
    I've gotten hold of a pair of factory VF2 bimodals for my series 1 but a couple of questions if someone can help
    Firstly, on a vf2 with the bimodal switched off in mylink, does the flap remain shut at all rpm or does it still open at 3K? (more breath??)
    Secondly, I'll be fitting these with the flap open but still have AFM enabled so as not to affect my warranty, can anyone advise on if, when in AFM mode, will it sound crap in the cabin and out? If so I probs wont bother fitting...
    Thanks in advance

5. daves8

daves8 Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V 6.0
    I don't have these fitted, but had a different kind of rear muffler (j pipes with resonators) and yes they sound terrible when afm kicks in.

You can get a afm disabled that plugs into your obd port, that disables the afm but doesn't affect warranty.

I used one for 6 months before I did all my mods, worked well.

If you want one let me know

6. Dave-o

Dave-o New Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SS
    I'm new to the forum, after just purchasing a 12 month old VFII SS. Funny that I was thinking there was something wrong when I would drive off from idle and the exhaust would then become quiet as the bimodal flap closed. Really happy to learn about removing the fuse to keep it open from this forum. The car sounds SWEET, really happy with the noise. My old mans 6 litre always sounded like a 6 cylinder, the LS3 sounds bloody great!

jbcow likes this.
  7. ShinWow

ShinWow Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
    Had a crack at this today, holy hell, big difference! I had no idea about the 3000rpm thing but it definitely sounds so much louder with the fuse out. I like it :) I wish "open" MEANT open! Would like to retain the control via MyLink.

Anybody know if there's a way to disable the 3000rpm thing and just have it purely open/closed?

8. Stuey81

Stuey81 Member

Members Ride:
    My08 VE SS
    I've got a VF2 SSV redline with factory bi modial mufflers, now I always have the flaps open in loud mode, you can clearly see the flap is open when you squat down behind the car and look up both exhaust tips closest to the centre of the car. now after reading this I got another person to check to see if the valve shuts at the 3000rpm mark as stated here.....it doesn't! it stays open in sports mode right through the rev range, and doesn't shut when the car is turned off. I even rev'ed the car up to like 5000rpm and with an observer watching to see if the flap closed or not, but it stayed open like it was told through mylink. so not sure why people are pulling fuses out, or if the series 2 redline is programmed different, but I thought I'd write this to maybe stop some misinformation, and maybe help someone who might need quiet mode on command (like the guy who leaves home early in the morning and wants it quiet). So just to reiterate, my VF2 SSVR bi modial mufflers stay in "loud/open" mode when selected, right through the rev range and when the car is switched off, and before anyone suggests maybe they are broken or something, they function perfectly and close if sports mode is turned off through the Config menu on the Mylink stereo.

Check to see if yours stay open before you go pulling fuses out!

9. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    In sports mode it is open at idle and after 3000rpm. Between idle and 3000rpm the valve is shut. In non sports mode the valve remains shut throughout the rev range. Pull the fuse and you'll hear the difference down low.

10. Stuey81

Stuey81 Member

Members Ride:
    My08 VE SS
    that's what I'm saying, mine doesn't shut from idle to redline lol! it stays open no matter what unless I tell it to shut.

11. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Maybe that's not when in gear? Never tried that.

12. Stuey81

Stuey81 Member

Members Ride:
    My08 VE SS
    possibly, I was in neutral as its a manual. I can go back outside and try it in 1st with the clutch in and report back :)

13. Jarp

Jarp Surely You Jest

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV A6 W375
    Hahaha....lean it against a wall and put a brick on the throttle.

14. Stuey81

Stuey81 Member

Members Ride:
    My08 VE SS
    nah I've got my two sons here for my access weekend lol, I'll just use a "James" to see if the flaps move hahaha

15. Stuey81

Stuey81 Member

Members Ride:
    My08 VE SS
    i'll go back out now and try the following:

car in gear and rev engine to see if flap stays open

car in gear with hand brake off and rev engine to see if flaps stay open

will report back the results

16. Stuey81

Stuey81 Member

Members Ride:
    My08 VE SS
    ok, my flaps stay open even in gear! definitely not closing between idle and 3000rpm, and no change above 3000rpm either. I even tried in gear with the handbrake off just in case it had something to do with the handbrake being on, but nope, no change and flaps didn't move. you can quite clearly here the "cackle" all the way down from 5000rpm to 1000rpm. So either the series 2 SSVR is programmed differently, or people are experiencing a placebo effect by pulling fuses. keen to hear from others that have had a second person physically look up the back pipes and confirm if thier cars bimodial flaps actually do shut or not. Where did this whole "flaps shut between idle and 3000rpm" info actually come from? was it just someone's perception from thier ear? or have they read the info from a Holden document?

17. scooter02

scooter02 Member

Members Ride:
    VF S2 SSV Redline ute
    Im fairly sure i notice a difference with mine with the fuse out, could it have anything to do with vehicle speed -if your moving or not and adjusting the bi-modals to suit how its being driven, so with the fuse in, if you take off and just putt around taking it easy (even in loud mode )they shut in the lower rev range, but if your at idle or up it they stay open...?
    If I'm just cruising in mine with the fuse out , i think it has more of a note to it then cruising in loud mode with the fuse in.
    Maybe need to set the Go Pro up looking up the pipe and go for a spin.....ha ha

18. Stuey81

Stuey81 Member

Members Ride:
    My08 VE SS
    setting up a go pro might be a good way to see what going on. when I cruise in mine in loud mode, I can always here the cackle when I back off no matter what the speed. It's a completely different exhaust note when you select quiet mode, my money's on the flaps don't close unless selected no matter what the revs or speed. Be good if you setup the go pro however, as I'm tipping it will save a few people pulling fuses for what I believe is no reason lol :)

19. CalaisNQ

CalaisNQ Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF II Calais V V8 Sportwagon
    You need to be moving for bi-modal flaps to close, I notice it quiter between 1000 - 3000 rpm, as Jarp said above.

20. Stuey81

Stuey81 Member

Members Ride:
    My08 VE SS
    placebo effect dude, but as long as your happy with it.