Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does series 2 bimodal exhaust drone if open permanently?

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
ok cool thanks for that info, my headers and cats came off a MY15 340 Clubsport R8, so what did you do about the O2 sensors on yours?
The hsv system I have had o2 bungs in the exhaust. So I've got the upstream o2 sensors in the headers and the downstream ones are in the cat back.

rouseabout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 in Red Hot, waiting for my VF11 SS
I pulled the relay on my stock SS. Love the sound all of the time but would like to have the quiet mode available for those early morning departures from home. Even to the point of running wires to the console and a separate switch....... Any thoughts?

Adza75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I'm the same... I love the sound all the time but occasionally have the need to be quiet. It's a pity On isn't "On", instead of "On only when I think it should be on".

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
I had a wireless relay set up made for my car, can be a complete tool and keep it loud all the time if I want, but can still flick it over to quiet when I want to fly under the radar :)
The remote sits perfectly in the little tray behind the gear selector

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Out of curiousity, is there anyone on here in Vic that has some factory bimodal mufflers they don't want? I need a pair for an experiment.

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
Where did you get the wireless relay from? Wouldn't mind getting one of those
I had a wireless relay set up made for my car, can be a complete tool and keep it loud all the time if I want, but can still flick it over to quiet when I want to fly under the radar :)
The remote sits perfectly in the little tray behind the gear selector

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Where did you get the wireless relay from? Wouldn't mind getting one of those

A RF wireless relay would do the trick as you would wire the wireless relay normally closed contact in series with the coil of the bi modal relay. Now all you have to do is pick up a positive from the circuit breaker/fuse board, run it via a cable to another in line fuse say 500mA for car protection and connect this to the Wireless relay and whilst you are at it find yourself a good negitive to give it to the Wireless relay. Now what would happen is if you want quite time you grab your RF transmitter (RF not IF as RF will work even outside the car or if your hiding in the engine bay and your relay is in the boot) yes grab your RF transmitter and select it and I would expect this relay to engage and because you are using the Normally closed contacts when the relay operates it will open the Bi Modal coil thus making Bi modal inoperative. This will work this way as long as the Factory Bi Modal relay contacts are open when its quite time and upon closing is when the bi modal is performing a racket.
Nothing is impossible even if you want to hard wire a switch (no RF relay) in a position that looks genuine (use a Factory switch so it looks original) but the only pain doing this is running two wires from your boot relay area to inside the cabin where you want the switch to be say in your console.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Out of curiousity, is there anyone on here in Vic that has some factory bimodal mufflers they don't want? I need a pair for an experiment.

Vacuum or Electric operated Bi modal actuator?
I always wondered if the Bi modal mufflers would drone on a SV6 if the Butterfly is CLOSED and if it does not drone I surely could wire up or plumb up if vacuum actuator type. Nothing is impossible as I found out testing this week using AFM and NON AFM mufflers that the drone is mainly when part throttling not giving it more or a gut full and if you have bi modal mufflers that are closed when part throttling and if that gives you no drone you are in luck.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
bigjim just wanted to ask, can 340 headers and cats be latched up to a non 340 centre exhaust section? I have found a HSV centre exhaust section but its not a 2.5 which means its not off a 340 HSV.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
bigjim just wanted to ask, can 340 headers and cats be latched up to a non 340 centre exhaust section? I have found a HSV centre exhaust section but its not a 2.5 which means its not off a 340 HSV.
Yes it'll fit any factory floor section.