Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does series 2 bimodal exhaust drone if open permanently?

vinnycolouda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Gents
Do the VFII bimodal mufflers fit to a VF1 exhaust with no mods? Thinking of buying a 2nd hand pair for my VF1. I'm led to believe the flap is also open with no power. Is that correct?
Cheers

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Gents
Do the VFII bimodal mufflers fit to a VF1 exhaust with no mods? Thinking of buying a 2nd hand pair for my VF1. I'm led to believe the flap is also open with no power. Is that correct?
Cheers

They will fit and the valves will remain open

vinnycolouda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
Gents
I've gotten hold of a pair of factory VF2 bimodals for my series 1 but a couple of questions if someone can help
Firstly, on a vf2 with the bimodal switched off in mylink, does the flap remain shut at all rpm or does it still open at 3K? (more breath??)
Secondly, I'll be fitting these with the flap open but still have AFM enabled so as not to affect my warranty, can anyone advise on if, when in AFM mode, will it sound crap in the cabin and out? If so I probs wont bother fitting...
Thanks in advance

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Gents
I've gotten hold of a pair of factory VF2 bimodals for my series 1 but a couple of questions if someone can help
Firstly, on a vf2 with the bimodal switched off in mylink, does the flap remain shut at all rpm or does it still open at 3K? (more breath??)
Secondly, I'll be fitting these with the flap open but still have AFM enabled so as not to affect my warranty, can anyone advise on if, when in AFM mode, will it sound crap in the cabin and out? If so I probs wont bother fitting...
Thanks in advance

I don't have these fitted, but had a different kind of rear muffler (j pipes with resonators) and yes they sound terrible when afm kicks in.

You can get a afm disabled that plugs into your obd port, that disables the afm but doesn't affect warranty.

I used one for 6 months before I did all my mods, worked well.

If you want one let me know

Dave-o

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS
I'm new to the forum, after just purchasing a 12 month old VFII SS. Funny that I was thinking there was something wrong when I would drive off from idle and the exhaust would then become quiet as the bimodal flap closed. Really happy to learn about removing the fuse to keep it open from this forum. The car sounds SWEET, really happy with the noise. My old mans 6 litre always sounded like a 6 cylinder, the LS3 sounds bloody great!

ShinWow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV 6.2L Manual
Had a crack at this today, holy hell, big difference! I had no idea about the 3000rpm thing but it definitely sounds so much louder with the fuse out. I like it :) I wish "open" MEANT open! Would like to retain the control via MyLink.

Anybody know if there's a way to disable the 3000rpm thing and just have it purely open/closed?

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
I've got a VF2 SSV redline with factory bi modial mufflers, now I always have the flaps open in loud mode, you can clearly see the flap is open when you squat down behind the car and look up both exhaust tips closest to the centre of the car. now after reading this I got another person to check to see if the valve shuts at the 3000rpm mark as stated here.....it doesn't! it stays open in sports mode right through the rev range, and doesn't shut when the car is turned off. I even rev'ed the car up to like 5000rpm and with an observer watching to see if the flap closed or not, but it stayed open like it was told through mylink. so not sure why people are pulling fuses out, or if the series 2 redline is programmed different, but I thought I'd write this to maybe stop some misinformation, and maybe help someone who might need quiet mode on command (like the guy who leaves home early in the morning and wants it quiet). So just to reiterate, my VF2 SSVR bi modial mufflers stay in "loud/open" mode when selected, right through the rev range and when the car is switched off, and before anyone suggests maybe they are broken or something, they function perfectly and close if sports mode is turned off through the Config menu on the Mylink stereo.

Check to see if yours stay open before you go pulling fuses out!

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I've got a VF2 SSV redline with factory bi modial mufflers, now I always have the flaps open in loud mode, you can clearly see the flap is open when you squat down behind the car and look up both exhaust tips closest to the centre of the car. now after reading this I got another person to check to see if the valve shuts at the 3000rpm mark as stated here.....it doesn't! it stays open in sports mode right through the rev range, and doesn't shut when the car is turned off. I even rev'ed the car up to like 5000rpm and with an observer watching to see if the flap closed or not, but it stayed open like it was told through mylink. so not sure why people are pulling fuses out, or if the series 2 redline is programmed different, but I thought I'd write this to maybe stop some misinformation, and maybe help someone who might need quiet mode on command (like the guy who leaves home early in the morning and wants it quiet). So just to reiterate, my VF2 SSVR bi modial mufflers stay in "loud/open" mode when selected, right through the rev range and when the car is switched off, and before anyone suggests maybe they are broken or something, they function perfectly and close if sports mode is turned off through the Config menu on the Mylink stereo.

Check to see if yours stay open before you go pulling fuses out!

In sports mode it is open at idle and after 3000rpm. Between idle and 3000rpm the valve is shut. In non sports mode the valve remains shut throughout the rev range. Pull the fuse and you'll hear the difference down low.

Stuey81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline & VE SS Wagon
that's what I'm saying, mine doesn't shut from idle to redline lol! it stays open no matter what unless I tell it to shut.