Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does this sound like an okay deal?

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
VS V6 acclaim. 220,000km's, power windows, power steer, cruise control, abs, dual airbags, factory fit duel fuel. No rust anywhere. It's got all the factory books, including service history upto the warranty 5yr service. Comes with RWC and 12mths rego. The guy is asking $6,000 for it, we got him to $5k but tryin to get lower then that.

Picked up on a few things lookin it over and on the test drive. Rocker gaskets leaking, muffler has a hole, rear window regs rooted, bootlid was full of water and steering rack was making a rubbing noise. Also when I punched it on the test drive in D with economy button on, it didn't change untill 6k/rpm. He's gnna get all that fixed and the transmission looked at and we'll go back for another look on Friday.

Interior is near immaculate, even the passenger airbag cover isn't warped like most we've seen. And Dad bought his last car from this dealership, and it lasted 4yrs untill some bloke wrote it off, so I trust the dealer (within reason :p )

Just looking for opinions from you guys, I'm sure you've all bought a few commies in ur time. I've looked at everything I know, maybe you'll know of something else to be checking.

Resized640x480_W7056427_B.jpg

Resized640x480_W7056427_H.jpg

Resized640x480_W7056427_E.jpg

Srry to make another thread, but just trying to make sure we get a good car as it's going to be my dad's last car (unless it also gets written off :mad:).

Thanks, John.

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
Boot full of water and steering noise are typical problems with easy fixes, so don't let that put you off. Just use it as a bargaining chip. Paint looks nice too.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
From an old blokes perspective the colour would put me off as it's not noticeable (camouflage) and being dark it will get awful hot when parked in the sun. At those Ks the trans will soon fail if it hasn't already plus CAS and HB. Power steering could be simple fix but if rack and pump need replacing it will cost upwards of $600. Boot full of water is probably the seals around the rearmost side windows gone....a cheap fix but a bugger of a job pulling them out and expensive to get it done professionally.
5 years of warranty record still leaves 9 years unaccounted for!
On the positive side it looks like an old bloke has owned it and it has 12 mths rego....price is normal for a dealer and it should come with a warranty.
I'd get the trans checked independantly, also the steering as both can be doctored with a can of "quick fix" - the boot they will probably drain and clean and leave it at that.

If it was to be my last car I'd go for lower Ks which would probably end up costing a few thousand more but it could be worth it....and there are plenty out there to choose from.
In the end it's your old man's decision - good on you for trying to get the best for him.

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
Thanks for the input.

We looked around for a car with lower k's but as you said, they shoot up in price and the budget is $5,000. The avge seemed to be between 190 and 290,000. He doesn't do a lot of long trips, mainly home to the shops and back.

I'll see about getting an independant to check the trans and steering, the dealer did offer to allow the mech of our chosing to do the roady and he'd foot the cost. But he said he'll get all them things fixed now, so I dunno if the offer still stands.

Anymore info is helpful too, thanks everyone :)

v8_stato

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr statesman 5.0
hey man thats a rip off comparred to my mates supercharged vs that hes selling.he wants no lower than 7,500 for it,its white,auto,yella terra charger,roller rockers,cam,lifters etc,quick car and its immaculate john.it comes with reg roadworthy,and big sterio.lowered on ceptors,and just over 200,000 on the clock.i gotta put a thread up for him when i have more info on the motor specs.ive driven it a few times and its great to drive and quick.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Did you say the Passenger airbag cover isn't warped, looks like it's warped big time on the top left, could just be the picture though...I reckon even for $5,000, with all that fixed, it's still a bit pricey, but hey, if your gonna buy from a dealership, then i'm sure your already aware of that.

190,000, is getting towards the high mark, i currently have a VP, which has around 185,000 on it, although i purchased it with the intent to put a 5L manual into it, so i ignored the high kms, in favour of it's body and interior. And although it hasnt let me down once, it the 4 months now that i've had it, i wouldnt have bought it with that many km's, if i planned on keeping it for a long time.

My advice is to look around privately, and although you won't be buying with a car with a warranty, narrow your search down enough, and have each car properly inspected, and then that way you will still be buying a used car with confidence..

Acclaimed VS

cruising
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I just bought my VS acclaim 2 weeks ago 3,300 private sale with 106,000 on the clock aprt from a warpd passenger airbag, a non-working fuel and temp gauge and a ****ed speed alert all of which arent big issues its great, I would reccomend looking at private sales as you can score a much beter deal and you can use the savings you keep as backup if and when something goes wrong. But yeh for those k's that price is a bit high i rekon. Car looks strait as though

spd_dmn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Exec, 5.0L BT1
I know it's a bit high on the k's. I bought my VR at 220 2yrs ago, it's just turned over 260,000 and apart from the tranny being a bit rough it hasn't let me down yet but I use it everyday for work. The lowest k's I found was 150*** and full of rust. The nxt lowest was 180 and they just went up from there. Dad will be using this to go shops n back, that's about it, so the k's arent a huge deal, but still being mindful of them.

With regards to the cover, it does look a bit lifted in the top corner. I have to say I didn't notice that when we looked at the car (I was focused more on the bodywork and motor) But compared to the others we looked at, nearly every1 had the entire outside edge lifted and peeled over. And it's a common problem so I've been told.

Dad likes this car and I know it's costing more coz it's a dealer, but as I said he got his last car from this guy with no problems. He likes the passenger airbag and fact it's factory duel fuel. Also there's about $1k in the 12mth reg and rwc, which most of the private sales lacked.

But yeah thanks for the advice, it's all helpful, getting lots of different viewpoints/opinions. This car isn't locked in yet, we are still gnna be looking around. :)

And luke, he's over that stage in his life. Just needs something economical and safe. And not a fkn hatch :p