Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does untuned better flowing intake result in loss of low end torque

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Since installing R8 340 intake and K&N air filter there are times where car feels less responsive at low revs. It also seems that bimodal mufflers take longer to activate. When I plant the foot it absolutely screams and pulls like a train.

Is it possible that this kind of intake without tune could result in loss of low end torque and feel a bit lazier ? Not sure if it's all in my head.

My guess is that it would benefit from a tune regardless.

Would there be any really significant advantage to going with VCM otr and tune as compared to this setup and tune ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201130-220649_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201130-220649_Gallery.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 228

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
probe needs a tune tweak as any change to the airflow coming in if its a bigger diameter intake or less restriction or anything that will slow down or speed up airflow will cause the maf to read incorrect so fueling will be out, also with an increased rate of airflow it can cause changes to timing from burst retard so timing could be less then before, those intake pipes/ airbox heats up and transfer that heat to the intake more then a OTR would so id always recommend an OTR above those style

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
When I put mine in I left the flap in and closed as I am still trying to get it to work I have not noticed any difference in performance I found a box that will open and close using throttle position and or rpm switch which i believe the hsv use both but can't really justify the $200 usd but the way the kiwi dollar is going its getting cheaper by the day or thats what I am telling myself

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Try a OE filter as a test.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
When I put mine in I left the flap in and closed as I am still trying to get it to work I have not noticed any difference in performance I found a box that will open and close using throttle position and or rpm switch which i believe the hsv use both but can't really justify the $200 usd but the way the kiwi dollar is going its getting cheaper by the day or thats what I am telling myself

I did not notice any difference with lower airbox only and flap open. But after changing the intake duct and k&n filter I noticed the difference.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I actually thought of doing that. Will throw it in and see what happens.

Buy some MAF cleaner too and spray the MAF down. New oil filters can get the MAF oily. So clean the MAF and use OE filter if there in an improvement use less oil on your filter.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Buy some MAF cleaner too and spray the MAF down. New oil filters can get the MAF oily. So clean the MAF and use OE filter if there in an improvement use less oil on your filter.

Just cleaned it. will see if it make a difference. If not will put paper filter and check.
If that does not resolve it...tune it is....