Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 does v6 5 speed fit v8 auto with mods

dale radenic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss commondore ute series 3
i have a '97 VS V6 get-rag manual ute and a '99 304 5litre auto ute, is it possible to swap them over with new bell-housing or some mods, unsure myself, has anyone done anything similar or know how?

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
I would think it would be a fair bit of work.

Wiring and computer.
Radiator for trans cooler.
Crossmember.
Tailshaft.
Trans lines to radiator.
Shifter / console.
Reverse light sensor to wiring.

Dont quote me on it but they are some things i could think of that may not be compatible.
Never done one myself so couldnt say.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Bell housing wont fit and the input shaft is too short.
Easier to use a V8 T5 or a falcon i6 t5 with a conversion kit from CRS.

I did the same job on a VR recently, its not to bad if you have all the correct parts to start with. Biggest prick of a job is getting the auto out. I swear they put the gearbox in and built the car around it, you can't get any tools to it, we ended up pulling the whole motor/box out to do it. Getting the manual in and out is easy though.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Biggest prick of a job is getting the auto out. I swear they put the gearbox in and built the car around it, you can't get any tools to it, we ended up pulling the whole motor/box out to do it.

WTF? If it's taking more than about an hour to get the auto out, you're doing it wrong...:p

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Soop obviously doesnt have the best shed tool you can buy

jimmyd17

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra LS1
I did the same job on a VR recently, its not to bad if you have all the correct parts to start with. Biggest prick of a job is getting the auto out. I swear they put the gearbox in and built the car around it, you can't get any tools to it, we ended up pulling the whole motor/box out to do it. Getting the manual in and out is easy though.

yeah the auto is a prick of a job to get out. i dropped the trans mount to get more access to the bolts, had to remove passenger side exhaust manifold to get to one bolt, and used a rattle gun with about 4 x 1/2" extenders and a 9/16th socket to get the bolts undone.

Vs11uteman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s2 5.0 ltr ute
Next time just drop the whole k frame on jack while still on the mounts undo box x member and undo bolts etc ! So much easier

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Next time just drop the whole k frame on jack while still on the mounts undo box x member and undo bolts etc ! So much easier
Nice excavation there mate.
Jokes aside, are you suggesting dropping engine and trans both down as one lot then removing trans? Not a bad idea, obviously would drop water, but electricals could stay connected? Would also need to keep parallel to not smash dissy against firewall.

Vs11uteman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s2 5.0 ltr ute
Nice excavation there mate.
Jokes aside, are you suggesting dropping engine and trans both down as one lot then removing trans? Not a bad idea, obviously would drop water, but electricals could stay connected? Would also need to keep parallel to not smash dissy against firewall.
Yes that’s correct sorry should have mentioned the obvious yes drop water and remove radiator hoses