Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doing a vac leak smoke test, should the brake booster vacuum pump be blowing smoke out?

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Doing it on a budget so I've taped a bit of garden hose butted up to the brake booster hose and I'm blowing smoke from a vape into it, might cut a bottle in half and try get one to fit over the intake and blow in through there instead

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The PCV is a check valve.
Not on these engines.
It is a Tesla valve. It uses differential air flow to create a one way flow of sorts.
There is no internal components inside it what so ever. It's empty.
So with the engine off, there is no restriction at all. The top of the motor will get smoke too, to help find vacuum leaks.

Older PCV (Pre VZ) would have the internals that mechanically allow one direction of air movement.

I think LS1 have a PCV that has a one way mechanical restriction too like older style PCV's.

I have a thread on them.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alloytec-pcv.279039/page-11

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Not on these engines.
It is a Tesla valve. It uses differential air flow to create a one way flow of sorts.
There is no internal components inside it what so ever. It's empty.
So with the engine off, there is no restriction at all. The top of the motor will get smoke too, to help find vacuum leaks.

Older PCV (Pre VZ) would have the internals that mechanically allow one direction of air movement.

I think LS1 have a PCV that has a one way mechanical restriction too like older style PCV's.

I have a thread on them.
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/alloytec-pcv.279039/page-11

Not on the booster. It's Australian road regulation that the booster must retain vaccume and have 3 vacuume assisted stops left in it when the engine is off.

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Not on the booster. It's Australian road regulation that the booster must retain vaccume and have 3 vacuume assisted stops left in it when the engine is off.

Is that the reasoning for letting the car idle to build up pressure then turn off the car and pump the brake 3 times to test if its working?

Also, anyone have any idea how to remove the vacuum line clip off the pump? Gonna connect some probes to the jump post and then into the plug to test it that way but can't get the hose off

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201021-122937_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20201021-122937_Gallery.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Is that the reasoning for letting the car idle to build up pressure then turn off the car and pump the brake 3 times to test if its working?

Also, anyone have any idea how to remove the vacuum line clip off the pump? Gonna connect some probes to the jump post and then into the plug to test it that way but can't get the hose off

Looks as though the clip is busted on the pic side, the other side need to be levered out slightly to unlock it.

jeffmills69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Wagon
Looks as though the clip is busted on the pic side, the other side need to be levered out slightly to unlock it.
Yep that was me trying to lever out both sides with 2 small flathead screwdrivers and it still wouldn't budge

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep that was me trying to lever out both sides with 2 small flathead screwdrivers and it still wouldn't budge
Does it move when you twist it?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah it fully spins around and now that those little things are broken it slides a bit but still so sings of coming off

Jiggle, twist and pull, maybe lever it off with a screwdriver.