Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doing a WH L67 Supercharged V6 into a VY S2 Wagon

Matt theTech Guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Wagon undergoing some mods
I have a VY S2 Wagon with an ECOTech3.8L auto.
I love this shape of wagon.
Love the sport wagon too if i could get one.
But my project is here.
So we (me and a mate) bought a L67 WH Statesman on the weekend very cheap. It already has a 10PSI pulley on it. He wants the panels and stuff for his Caprice.
Haven't checked the memcal yet. Has a KN filter in the air box. Split air induction pipe (have to replace) from the MAF to the throttle body. New gapped plugs at 0.8mm. New Top Gun Leads. The bearings in the snout are noisy too! But it had a 2.5 mandrel exhaust from the cat back i would like to utilise!!!!!!!!!
So here goes my thread.
My Wagon is a Series 2 VY with an Ecotech 3.8L
I have done extensive searches on this site and others and amazed with Mace!!
Looks like i will be spending some money with them!!
I want to put the L67 into the wagon.
Every thing i am asking about I want to put in the wagon.
The front seats are WK (told were stato) in cloth. 6 way i believe. Recline and the up down base.
My Wagon is an exec. So some upgrades (i believe)......
I have already done a Sony head unit Apple Car Play Ready Double Din with the Aero kit and repainted the surrounds in a heat paint that looks almost stock and very cool. Leather steering wheel and buttons.
Doing the reverse camera for the head unit as well. ( I need some suggestions on where to put the camera????) Thinking of the rear wing but looking at the angle not good. Then looked at the rear number plate surround but i would have to put the camera wire though the harness......Oh ****!!!!!
Then looked at the bumper easier wiring but a **** place with the tow bar. Oh well.

So i now know putting the L67 into the wagon: (also from the Mace website and here)
1. Lengthen the crank angle sensor
2. Lengthen the temp sensor
3. Lengthen the injector wires
4. Use the torque converter from the Stato WH
But before the upgrades:
5. Use the Mecal from the WH into the VYs2 wagon computer
6. Use the exhaust on the wagon (i really want this!)

I also want to do some mods:
7. Refurbish the snout bearings, seals, converter, heavy duty coupler and new oil (all from Mace)
8. Put the front seats in from the Stato (WK series cloth seats) Extend any wiring
9. Some quick and cheap upgrades to the motor:
9a: 6.35 manifold insulator and 69mm throttle body (from Mace)
9b: Memcal from Mace with the throttle body tune...... still has the stock headers and cats.
9c: The Roller Rocker 1.9:1 upgrade with pushrods
9d: The 82degC Thermostat
9e: Silicon or rubber pipe from the MAF to the throttle body
10. Maybe put the 3.07 M80 diff in as well (i believe the diff in the exec is a 2.87)

I am also an experienced mechanic and been in the trade with some old school and new school stuff experience but never attempted this before. Done lots of LS1/V8 conversions (rice conversions as well please don't look down on me for this) .... but this swap and car were tooo good to pass up. Cheap as chips.

I would like any feedback to what i have missed or any other suggestions on the upgrades or other upgrades i have overlooked..

Looking to the community best for this stuff.

Any suggestions are welcome and advice from all I thank you in advance to help this project.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
5. Use the Mecal from the WH into the VYs2 wagon computer

This is probably going to be your biggest hurdle. The VY won't use a memcal (VX/VY N/A V6 went to soldered chips), and chances are that even if it did it might not work anyway because the memcal is from a VT/VX/WH and not a VY/WK.

Your only options are to get a VY supercharged ECU and have it linked to your car with a Tech 2, or send your ECU to somebody to be reflashed. The bonus of getting the supercharged ECU is that it will have a memcal so that you can get it mail order tuned if you change things later.

Matt theTech Guy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Wagon undergoing some mods
Just spoke to Mace and the PCM for a VY with their tune will suit the all bolt on upgrades. $280 plus postage.
Good value.
Now to look at the snout rebuild...........