Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doing up a 173 blue motor??

frenchyvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX
Gday fellas,
posted comments earlier about whether i could or couldnt put an older holden 6 in my commy or whether it was worth doing up the 173...I'm leaning more towards doing up the existing 173, has anybody done this? i'm also interested to know, realistically, how many CI's I'm able to bore this head out too? If anyone could help me i'd much appreciate it,
Cheers, Rhys

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I have a blue 173 that im rebuilding.....getting it bored out to fit 186 pistons in. I believe the 173 and 202 are the same blocks, so I'd say maybe 60thou over wat 202 specs are, any bigger and u might not be able to get pistons for it. I aint an expert tho so I could be wrong.

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
The best 173 I've ever seen done up was in a torana. Bored out to 192, bigger cam and straight cut timing gears (Ohhh...I love the sound of those...) And talk about power. It was nuts!!

Is yours auto or manual? That motor with the 5 speed, was pure pleasure to drive.

frenchyvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX
mine has a 5 speed in it, looking to convert it to a supra or t5 box soon, going to get the 173 sorted first...so i can get the 173 bored out to a 192?? Can anyone confirm this???

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
i thought it was only the red HP blocks that could go out to 192 due to being a stronger casting...

frenchyvh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX
i thought it was only the red HP blocks that could go out to 192 due to being a stronger casting...

If that's the case then does anyone have an idea on how much i can bore the motor out before i start having problems?? The old man's mechanic doesn't know alot about the holden 6's so i'm having to try and get info on them elsewhere, so any help would be much appreciated..

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina

to my knowledge they are all the same. Then again, i'd never heard of a blue 173.
I imagine the only difference would be the water jackets. and extra holes in the block.

ask the guys on oldholden.com

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Thats 179 ci motors, the 173 are a different motor.
I can't see why boring out a 173 -192 wouldn't hurt it, you can do the same to the ole 186 as well.

atrail308

RIP King of the Mountain
Reaction score
Members Ride
V8 VH SL/E 308
yeah, the HP's were 179's and 186's, depending on the model they were released in, as for the 173, it may be that the different water jackets cause it to have a thinner cylinder wall, therefore cant be bored out as much...