Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Doing your own basic servicing.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Video footage from dash cams of servicing being done where the oil was changed

And what else do you expect from a service?

But hey if you want to live in the delusional world of quality dealer servicing go right ahead

I'm not delusional at all. I've just never had a problem with dealer servicing? Why is that hard to understand?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
And what else do you expect from a service?

So you think a scheduled service is a 20 minute job with just an oil change?

I guess what you dont know wont hurt you.
Stick with the dealer servicing mate it looks like you are the perfect or "intended" candidate for "dealer servicing".
Make sure its capped price too because they work extra hard for that ;)

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Personal experience, a plethora of complaints of sub par servicing.
Video footage from dash cams of servicing being done where the oil was changed and the vehicle was parked up 20 mins later.

But hey if you want to live in the delusional world of quality dealer servicing go right ahead :rolleyes:
You forgot they tell you your tyres are almost done and brakes need replacing. Our Prado was in for warranty job and service, went to pick if up they had,t done service 25mins later all done amazing how they can inspect and do a road report without driving it.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
So you think a scheduled service is a 20 minute job with just an oil change?

Yes? What do you think it is? Have you read your owners manual? The minor services listed shouldn't take more than half an hour.

I guess what you dont know wont hurt you.
Stick with the dealer servicing mate it looks like you are the perfect or "intended" candidate for "dealer servicing".
Make sure its capped price too because they work extra hard for that ;)

I'm happy to pay for dealer servicing. I've never had a single issue arising from it.

I believe the saying is 'each to their own'

Any reason why you are so passive-aggressive?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
So i've just bought a 2014 VF sportwagon as a tug. Ex fleet car full log books , tow pack, crash bar, clean as a whisle with 172 K on the clock. Thats nothing for this car as long as services have been done. Books up to date.
Scored it from a yard for 11,500 buks. Cars worth nearly 38 K new or 40K with tow pack and crash bar on front.
Been used by Johnny come lately for long runs out to wheat bins. I' ve been lookin for 2 years at VF sportwagons from Auction and found this one in a car yard. Company just got rid of it due to the milage and traded it in for small dollars i imagine.
Anyway, i'm gunna punch it around Aussy towing me Jayco freedom van and plan to keep it on my return to Perth.. Being a little bit handy myself i plan to do all the baby servicing and what i can not do i will flick it to my trusted mechanic to sort. So i will do all the oil and filter changes .
Because i bought it at a great price im not gunna take it to The Stealers for factory servicing but by doin this i will lose the highly regarded Stealererz stamp which so many punters live and breath by.
My mate considerers me insane because he lives and breaths the Stamp in the log book and tells me my resale will die but because it's got 172K on it and i bought it for 11500 buks who really cares. ??
I offer up this example of Stealer dealer ripping of the punting public on servicing. Holden Stealers want 372 buks to do a simple oil change and filter change. Avin a laugh aint they??
My next service requires oil and filter change, air cleaner replacement and brake fluid flush.
Stealers want 632 buks. 5555. I'm laughin hard at that one. I can do the oil filter, oil change and air cleaner change for under 150 buks. Ill then give it to my mechanic to do the brake flush for not much buks.
Total saving from giving it to Stealers will be around 400 buks.
So in conclusion it bangs home that Stealers are really making huge dollars at the expense of punters who gota have that stamp on the book.
Myself considers that once ones free services finishes and warranty period is finished the smart money is one doing the basics ya self if capable and if not using a local trusted mechanic and stear well clear of Dealer Stealers.
Utube is your friend, not the dealer stealers. Myself should of Utubed removing the battery from my VF before i tackled it and stuffed the drain plug. 5555.
Knowledge is power my friends.
What do ya recon about that anyway regards Dealer Stealers when you are the punter coughing up ya hard earned for basic servicing ?

English, punctuation and correct grammar would be appreciated.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
One must realize that running a business costs a fortune in Australia.
Given the cost of labor, insurances, rents, SUPA, training up apprentices, holidays, sick Leave, maternity leave and various other costs it's the Dealers stealers job to wedge up Johnny punter. Anyone who has actually run their own business will attest to my musings.
It's just that this punter here refuses to pay 372 buks of my hard earned for a pimply faced 16 year old apprentice to unscrew 6 bolts on the sump cover, unscrew the sump plug, drain the oil, replace with 6.7 liters of synthetic and bang on a new filter. It's simply ridiculous and better left to people who don't mind paying that.
I am in a different boat because my car is high mileage, out of warranty and keeping the log book up at this stage is simply irrelevant. Never convince my mate though, he loves that little stamp in his book and he don't mind paying stupid money for it. Each to their own though innit.
Jesus, the money i save by doing basic servicing will get me a long way down the road petrol wise.
Interesting point regards Auto trans cooler. My van will only weigh around 1200 KG loaded, consider the VF wont be working hard towing it do you really think i will need one.?? If i get feed back that i should do it i will fit one.
Thanks for the help . Ta
Very good forum, some of you are right on the money.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
^^
Oh I'm very sorry about that. ??
Jesus, I'm talking to punters in plain English not writing a frigging thesis.
Ta.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
Anyway, wot ya recon about da Auto trans coola den ????

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yes? What do you think it is? Have you read your owners manual? The minor services listed shouldn't take more than half an hour.

I'm happy to pay for dealer servicing. I've never had a single issue arising from it.

I believe the saying is 'each to their own'

Any reason why you are so passive-aggressive?

service.jpg

half an hour you say? holdens booklet shows otherwise.

you should not feel like anyone is being "aggressive" because you came out thinking the dealer services are prefect based on your personal opinion.
you think a service is just an oil change and you are wrong and that is fine but there is a reason they are supposed to spend time checking certain parts of the vehicle.
the idea is "preventive maintenance" or to catch a problem before it becomes serious or costly and that's what you are paying for and a lot of dealers just change the oil and send it out.

the dealers make stuff all from the servicing so they do as little as possible to push as many as they can through.

as you said "each to their own" and like I said originally the dealers stamp in the book just shows a poor service history aka most likely just an oil change

you can live in the world where the dealer has your back and values you as a customer and you trust they are doing everything they should.
I will live in the world where money/profit drives all decisions and the dealers don't give a crap about me or my car unless I am looking to buy a new one.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
That's right. Stealers charge the big dollars to inspect tire pressures.

Not everybody can do that stuff. ??????