Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Don't buy NGK sparkplugs

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
GM Plugs here, Seem to get more kms to a tank in my experience. same price too

See everyone's minds are wondering off topic here LOL!!

-Guy-

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS '95
hey guys just wanted to put a warning out there. bought some ngk spark plugs the other day just doing the change over. at first all was sweet after a little while the engine started misfiring and got progressively worse. taking the sparks out, gapping them and checking all make a spark couldnt pin the problem. bought a new set same problem but felt a bit different (did it at different times as the other ones). thought i damaged the leads so replaced leads to no array. bought some DENSO plugs works without fail. read on the net and i'm not the only one with thi problem on the vr/vs. so when buying plugs either spend the extra money or get the gm holden ones whatever you do dont get NGK.:blah blah::blah blah::blah blah:

I have never had a problem with NGK plugs..Actually, I changed from a different brand of plugs to NGK plugs on my VS and the power difference was amazing, you could really feel that it pulled alot better with the NGK's.

Rdclaw2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2
I used NGK plugs and wires since the 80's.
Last set I bought was in Jan15.. Ran fine for a while, pulled them and the gap closed. Hmmm, re gapped and worked fine for a while and then same thing. After about 6-8 months of normal driving and the sputtering started again I got new ones and replaced them just today. Now, three of them came out very hard, I was worried. It appeared they were near closed again and I have pics showing the threads appeared to warp near the base on the 3 tight ones. After working them I got them out, 4th. one came out normally. I will be paying attention to this last set.
The first set was purchased in Tx so I'm not sure if they were manufactured with less quality control, but that was my ongoing issue with them. I always purchased on East Coast in the past. I'll repeat, I've used NGK for years without a problem and this was the first and only time. However, if I have to pull them and check the gap again, we're done. I'm not ruining my truck, it's has over 320K on it and I expect to hit half mill before overhauling and no defective plugs or manufactures shortcuts are going to change that. Timing, fuel mix, all checks out. It was those 3 plugs, that's when it started.
So despite our run of success with them, it may be prudent to pay better attention in case this becomes an issue!

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
What are you driving v6/v8 vs/vr ????

Rdclaw2000

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2
What are you driving v6/v8 vs/vr ????
4 cyl. 2.7l 2000 Tacoma sr5 4x4. I use ng in all my vehicles including a boat. I thought this issue is worthy of mention in case ng cut back on quality control.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
I have use NGK form 1974 with no problems at all.
With single bore dirt bikes if anyone used anything but NGK, you would not want them to come riding with you, Denso maybe but never Bosch or Champion they were the worst and in the 70's 80's cars they were rubbish and AC plugs were the worst by far, but nowadays plugs are made better and the AC plugs now are good as any other just as Bosch and Champion are to NGK I would think.