Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

door clunking

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
Howdy i have a issue with my passengers door clunking on every bump, its really annoying as passengers say oops i must have forgot to shut door properly, then i tell them no the door is just a POS. i can stop the clunking by putting a bit of a electrical tape on the catch on the door pillar, but that only last a week then clunks again, whats the permanent solution?

])R@G()N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Move the catch on the door pillar. If you loosen it, its very easy to adjust.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
])R@G()N;1820837 said:
Move the catch on the door pillar. If you loosen it, its very easy to adjust.

my concern with that was if i made it tighter i would be more prone to breaking handles? i thought there was like a plastic bit inside catch on door that stopped the clunking or something

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
yeah the door striker plate would have had a black plastic sleeve covering it where you are putting the electrical tape.
I think the only way you can fix it properly is to purchase a new striker plate.
I have the same problem on my drivers door, so I just went and got some thicker electrical tape, i can't remember how thick it was, and wrap it around a few times.
The thicker tape lasts longer, I generally get a few months before I need to do it again.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah the door striker plate would have had a black plastic sleeve covering it where you are putting the electrical tape.
I think the only way you can fix it properly is to purchase a new striker plate.
I have the same problem on my drivers door, so I just went and got some thicker electrical tape, i can't remember how thick it was, and wrap it around a few times.
The thicker tape lasts longer, I generally get a few months before I need to do it again.

cheers mate, did you ever end up getting a quote for a new striker plate?

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
LOL, my driver's door is the only one that still HAS the black rubber on the striker, and driver's door is used 90% more than the passengers.
However, my passengers door doesn't clunk due to the fact that the rubber is gone??

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you adjust the door striker inwards fractionally, it will mean that the door is pulled tighter into its aperture and will sit more firmly against the sealing rubber. That might help to alleviate the "clunk", because the door won't have the same freedom to move. Just don't adjust the striker in too far, or the door will have to be slammed every time you close it and the panel might not align flush with the rear door.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
you could buy some clear tubing cut a slit and glue it on