Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Door Handle (inside) Material

El Barto

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Equipe
Hey guys,

Firstly thanks to the replies Re: Rattle in the Dash. I am pretty certain it is a loose loom etc. Can not figure how to reach it yet, have try removing panels etc. No luck yet.
Anyhoww my question today....I went to open the door on the car today and my hand caught on the handle inside. Anyhow my finger nail must have been sharp! It 'cut' into the handle and made a 1cm split in it. Now I am not sure if it will spread over time or what. My Q is, any ideas on a good adhesive to use to 'fill' in the split. Main concern is to minimise/stop the handle spitting over time,
Your thoughts are appreciated.
Happy Holden!

Cheers

P

Phil

G'day El Barto,

Sorry didnt see the (inside) word... forget what I said.. lol

Cheers
Phil

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
im confused is the split in the plastic handle that you pull on or the soft trim you rest your arm on.

most epoxy resins can cure the plastic bit but as for the viynal(excuse the spelling) you can take it to a apholsterer and they use some form of plastic weld on it and you cant tell it was ever torn.

i saw this when i worked as a car detailer (glorified name for car washer)

hope this helps

P

Phil

As for your rattle I will make some enquiries on how to get where you need to go...

Phil

El Barto

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Equipe
Thanks for the feedback guys much appreciated. I have put some Shelleys Gel Grip into it and it's sealed it fine at the moment. I went with this because it seemed to be the one more suitable for the material.

Jafo thanks for the info, and Phil I have already disregarded! lol, I'll look at asking a detailer if it looks like it is going to spread. At the moment I think it is pretty good, if I don't say so myself! I even touched up the cut with a little bit of paint that matched (go model aircraft paint!). Aside from the impression of the cut it's hard to see.

And Phil, thanks for looking into the rattle issue. Just a shame that there is no Gregory's book on the VX. I know that the other mob has taken over the relm of the auto service books. TO date I have not seen a VX issue.

Aside from that the car is going well, though I am going to have the transmission checked. Seems a bit clunky of late.

Anyhow best be off.

Cheers

P

Phil

El Barto,

What issues are you having with the tranny?... I might be able to shed some light.

Philo

El Barto

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Equipe
Phil,

Of late its felt really 'clunky' going into gears. I no that commodores don't have the smoothest of shifts (had a VN before this one). But have noticed that under acceleration, say accerating after coming out of a corner, that the gear shifts seem to be quite severe. More so than before. I can not put my figure 100% on it though. Just that it seems to orignate in the transmission area.

Thanks,

P

Phil

Ok,

There are a few things to look at.
1. Does the "Clunk" sound like its coming from the rear?... eg: the location of the diff.
2. Does it only do it when driving out of a corner at very low speed on the change up
3. Is is just a harsh change up through the gears?.

The diff clunck was obvious in the LSD diffs. This was do to the diff oil being used in the VT and early VX models. A revision of the diff oil was to put a different oil and additive in the diff which ment changing the diff seals as the additive would desovle the seals. It is refered to as a Diff-Chatter kit. It did cure most of the problems but from time to time there will still be a clunk but no wear as server, the clunk you will get now is from the diff backlash.

If its occuring when going through a corner it could be a diff on its way out or the wrong size half-shafts (they are the drive shafts off the diff to the wheel hub). Holden revised those I think around late 2001 towards the end of the VX series I. They introduced a shorter half-shaft to stop the shaft from punching the end caps. I had that done to mine and it has made a world of difference.

If the tranny is shifting harshly I could be as simple as going to Holden dealer and asking to update the software to smooth out the changes. Also check you fluid levels..

I had alot of clunking in mine but it was mostly on slow down when stoping at lights or intersections also when driving slow through suburban streets if the tranny changed up a gear it would clunk. Holden replaced the diff this year with the new spec diff. All diffs in commodores VXII to YV have the additive already in it.

Talk to your holden dealer on getting it rectified and mention the diff chatter kit see what they say.

Cheers
Phil

El Barto

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX Commodore Equipe
Thanks Phil.

Think you have hit the nail on the head. Sounds more like the 'rear diff' area to me. Checked it on the way home today. I will book it into Holden to have the points you have mentioned checked. I suspect that it would be the diff mixture and kit that is needed.

Thanks, I really appreciate your advice.

Cheers