Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Door Lock - Wont unlock ! ( Rear passenger door )

old4570

Reaction score
Website
www.old4570.com
Members Ride
VZ
Rear passenger door wont open .
Seems the lock is JAMMED maybe ..
Wont open electronically nor will it open manually .. Just refuses to budge .
The other side works fine .

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The actuator might be staying on deadlock. You might be able to activate the solenoid by opening the front door and disconnecting the rear door loom. Using a 9v battery you should be able to activate the lock manually by back probing the correct pin outs from the 9v battery to the rear door harness.

old4570

Reaction score
Website
www.old4570.com
Members Ride
VZ
Apparently after research .. This is a common occurrence .
The cure apparently is to remove the door card and then manually manipulate the lock ..
From what I have read .
My plan is to remove the actuator and make the door fully manual locking .
Who designs a automatic door lock that traps the occupants ? ( A parking idiot - that's who )

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
How will you remove the door card if you can’t open the door?
Common? No.
Happens? Yes.

Manually manipulate the lock? I’ve pulled down those assemblies many times and you won’t get your hand in there easily to manipulate the lock. The lock/assembly has a cover.

The deadlock feature is a good one because it prevents thieves from opening the car door once windows are broken or other means.

The only way you’ll do it is with the method I mentioned. You’ll find the wiring diagrams, with some of your research, in the factory workshop manual which is around as a download for free or a small fee depending where you look.

H

harrop.senator

I usually try rip the button/cover off the top without running it all the way up the tint. (Let's not talk about my statesman passenger window.)

Then I I get my curved needle noses or vice grips. Get a good hold of the rod and lever off the top of the door trim.

Then fit a new one. I had 2 go around 240k so I swapped all 4.

old4570

Reaction score
Website
www.old4570.com
Members Ride
VZ
Door card ?
Yeah , wont be able to get to the bottom .. Hopefully get in far enough to open the door .
Once the door is open . Then see what's what .
Thieves ? I guess that's what the car alarm is for .

Can't speak for Aus , but globally this door lock issue is common ..
Not everyone posts their issues on forums or youtube . I think most people just pony up and have the problem fixed .
So the true number is unknown .
Pretty sure Holden did not keep a record of issues that got released to the public .
Would be nice to know , but a little like shooting one self in the foot .
Like that timing chain thing .. Would have been nice if Holden had let new car buyers know ....
Ford would have probably sold more cars !

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
H

harrop.senator

Probably be on par if ford told them about the diff bushes , tailshaft centre bearings , seat base cracking/breaking , the side bolsters collapsing, the electric window issues , the cruise control issues, the rust in the middle of panels and poor paint all over.

Also not a red blooded Holden man. I'd love to own another b series if they weren't just such a pos.

Double wishbone front end , looks , motor n box is all they have going for them.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Timing chains are gold on the alloytec when compared with other manufacturers.

At least the engine doesn’t have to come out like in quite a few Mercs. Yep. Mercs have timing issues too. So do Hondas and Nissans. So many do. The Holden fix is cheaper than most.

Timing chains on the Buick motors are a thing too. Ask Scotty from Street Machine. (Should have gone double row first time)