Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Door Speakers In Vs How To?

64now95

Hey guys,

Ive just installed a new head unit from instructions outta the how-to section (worked a treat!), but im jus wonderin if there is an easier way to install new speakers in the doors of a VS commie ute, rather than takin the entire door pad out?

F.O.R.D: Fix Or Repair Daily

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Great to hear the instructions have worked Did you notice any differences in the wiring for one of the colours assuming you used the chart? I did my sisters not so long ago and swore there was one wire difference but I never thought to update the spreadsheet.

The only easier way of doing the speakers is finding somewhere else to mount them and run new speaker wires which is probably worse than taking off the door trim.

I put together a simple how-to for removing the door trim which can be found here in another thread.

64now95

I did notice that there was one wire connection that wasnt right, but by the time i was up to that stage i just worked around it and could notice where the mistake was. All the notes up to that stage worked out fine and they would save the average guy a bundle not havin supposed professionals do the job instead!

Thanx for the advice on fixin speakers, im thinkin of setting up two behind the headrests aswell which should create a good effect.

Cheers.

Also, have you heard anything about commie utes having problems with off centre diffs and utes that blow diff seals? cos ive blown two in a short space of time. Is there any way to combat this? poss causes?

F.O.R.D: Fails On Race Day

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
i had a problem with the guide actually......i had to put the Accessory and the constant 12v line together joined to the battery cable from the head deck in order for it to work.....or is that how its supposed to go ? my first time doign it
also if anyone knows how can i get a cable from my battery to my boot for my amp.......i was gonna take it to an auto electrician and get it done but i thought i would have a crack at it first..........there is a cable coming from the battery going to the hole in the firewall at the top right section of the engine bay.........how do i get the wire into there and then how do i hide it when finding a way into the boot for it

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
That's very odd, they should go on their own wire although I do recall having a similar problem with a car recently but whether it was my brothers mate's VS or not I don't recall.

As long as it works that's the main thing although you will have to remember to detach the face or turn it off once your finished with it as power will be running to it all the time.

As for the amp wiring there are a number of ways of doing but here's a couple I have used in the past.

1st) Once you've got the fuse and wiring in place under the bonnet weave it through the side fender and through to cabin under side rails/scuff plates whatever you wish to call them.

2nd) Same as before but weave the wiring through towards the back of the firewall and then run it under the carpet.

Have a go at it yourself, it's much cheaper and you tend to learn a lot more, sure it can be frustrating but well worth it knowing you have saved your hard earned cash.

Still to this day I refuse to mount rear speakers in a Sedan if anything needs to be cut, for the simple reason if I stuff it up I feel I'm responsible.

When I did my sisters amp I mounted hers under the passenger side seat, it makes it much harder for some theif to knock it off but on the downside a little more time consuming to put into place.

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
i found a better way to get the amp cabling thru........i took the glovebox out (and it still is out cos i forgot how to put it back in) drilled a hole through the firewallin the top right section of the engine bay and it came out in the top left area where the glovebox goes.....i ran the cable from the battery around the engine bay then thru that hole and then tucked it allunderneath the panelling on the sides and then stuffed it down the back seats and thru the little entrance at the middle of the back seats............only visible parts being the panel betweenthe front passenger seat and the rear seats

also i have my headdeck wired so it doesnt have constant power which is good cos i will never leave it running but bad because it doesnt save settings

MuNtEd

Reaction score
In A Box Somewhere Up The End Of Your Street
Members Ride
94 VR EXEC
i'm with you there darren i hate to chop up the parcel shelf i have a vr commie
and i thought i would bypass it by getting a pair of speaker boxes from audiocom and putting my 6x9's in them and then placing them on the parcel shelf
me thinkin they would fit i had put the speakers in and then a couple of weeks later once i had progress on installing my system i had then decided it was time to put the 6x9's on the parcel shelf only to relise that i did'nt have enough clearance between the shelf and the back window so now i am going to get some 6" speakers to replace the standard ones that are in there now

O

oldn64

You can get 8"speakers into the factory hole and yes you will need a spacer or make a complete shelf. It is possible. anyway you will have a far better result from a round speaker than the 6x9 you have, good luck and hope all goes well..

Cheers

PS: by the way unfortunately there is now "easy way" you will need to remove the door pods to mount your new speakers, but once mounted and pods and door put back you would never know!!!