Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do's and Don'ts when getting pulled over

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Dumbo here got nailed a couple of years ago for speeding on a public holiday right in front of a HWP car. (Public hols attract double fine and double demerits in NSW).

Overtook a slow-moving car in a suburban street, without thinking that the speed limit was 50kph. He was travelling just below 50 and the street was wide, clear and straight, with broken centre lines. Indicate, move out and around, probably never exceeding 60-65kph. Indicate to pull back in and as I check my mirror to see that I have cleared him, I see the bright blue HWP car behind him also moving out to follow me.

No need for sirens, just pull over and watch them park behind me.

My first words after I got out the car were "Well, that was bloody brilliant, wasn't it?"

He replied "Yeah, especially when there's a bright blue police car right behind you." He took my license to check for warrants and rego etc, then when he returned it, he said "We don't issue tickets for stupidity." with a bit of a grin.

No further action. "Thanks mate. Cheers."

He probably felt sympathetic for the old fart but a good driving record would also have helped, and admitting you are a total dipstick wouldn't have done any harm, either.

And getting out of the car was no problem. It's how you behave after you do so that will put them off guard. I just leaned on my boot and got my license out as he approached me.

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I've been booked speeding once. When i was 18 just go my p's. Since that day never been pulled over for speeding. Have been asked to do breathalysers but that's it. If you cooperate comply you shouldn't have any issues. Actually you might even share a joke. My first breathalyser was funny, the cop gave it to me like my first sword with the whole ceremony. Almost down on one knee as he passed the white stick to me. Here you go sir cherish this .0 gift :p.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
And getting out of the car was no problem. It's how you behave after you do so that will put them off guard. I just leaned on my boot and got my license out as he approached me.

getting out of the car without being asked is risky. Most times you are probably going to be fine, but I work with police fairly regularly on road, and generally speaking they don't like it and I've seen police rather hastily direct the person to return back to their vehicle. Best to wait in the vehicle and follow their instructions. I also work in enforcement (not police but similar) and there's a couple of reasons we don't like drivers stepping out of the vehicle
1. the drivers own safety - we are responsible for the safety of everyone involved during the intercept, we don't want you stepping out into the line of traffic (believe it or not often people don't think and step out of the car straight out onto the road in front of oncoming traffic) or stand in another position that is a high risk.
2. if we haven't spoken to you before you step out of the vehicle, we are unsure of your demeanor - under certain circumstances it could be taken as an aggressive move.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
Tip number 1. Don't call them a rat dog bas###d. You'll end up in the wet cell with a phone book and dolphin torch friend.

sounds like you know the routine showbags, my personol dislike is being maced by a female cop with a moustace.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
I was with a few mates going camping one weekend when we were 17 (mate was on his P's back then) and we had 2 cartons of piss in the boot, and 2 cartons under our feet in the back & we ended up hitting an RBT station with a few cars pulled in, including us. we all just acted normal basically, no rowdy behaviour, no smart ass comments, polite etc and he didn't even notice anything. Most of the time, when a cop pulls you over for an RBT, they will sometimes look in your window with a torch while the other one RBT's you, but once you blow clear (hopefully) they know they can'tget anything from you so as long as you stay calm and don't give them any slight indication to suss you ouy, you'll be fine. With the stations with heaps of cars, they want to get it over with as quick as they can, because more people through means more chance of getting someone for DUI.

I was driving back from my parents with my nerf gun I had painted for supanova, and a belt of bullets I got in England, and while being breathalised the cop's partner saw the gun through the window (It looked like a bulked-up rifle through my tint/at night) and he stepped back and asked what it was, after I showed him he told me to be careful as I could have got a gun in my face by the police especially at night, so remember, the boot is your friend!

Another time I was walking home from my mates (about 2 min walk down the road) and it was about 3am, I was drunk off my guts, and a plain silver car high beamed me while slowly cruising past, then stopped about 5m up infront of me and the driver & passenger turned around in their seats and turned the lights off. I stopped walking and went to turn around and get out of there, until they turned their police lights on. I told them I was at my mates playing Battlefield and I thought they were guys trying to bash me, they laughed and we discussed Battlefield for a bit then they let me go. They said they were sussing people out due to a high number of break ins that night, just took my details and left me alone.

Greggles_VS

The Noob
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Ecotec
Astranomical:2292916 said:
Was cruising in an 01 lancer which my wife had decked out in pink (car in my name) got done for doing 196 in a 90 zone, all he could do was laugh about the pink through MY car and let me off with a warning.

I'm guessing you made a typo and thats actually 96 rather than 196? Mostly because not only do I doubt that a 2001 Lancer could do 196 km/h, but also you'd have to have rocks in your head for going that fast in a 90 zone, as would the cop for not taking you back to the station.

No it was 196km/h, just finished blowing off a speed restricted vn. Yes i know it was dumb but hey pink seat covers, roof lining, neons, steering wheel and playboy stickers made his day n sent me on my way. thats years ago tho, i now have a daughter so am responsible.

1SIKR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK -Project-, VX R8 Clubsport
well i dunno about you guys but

1 deny everything - no matter what, you didnt do it ! even if they got proof, IT WASNT YOU or there equipment is faulty
2 dont give attitude ... untill you see the officer get out of their car with a ticket, then it dosnt matter, you've already been booked
3 if your under the influence, when the cops put there lights on, drive on the edge of the road, and wave them around, chances are they arnt after you :)
4 when pulled over ask the officer if they want a smoke or beer, remeber .. sharing is caring
5 when doing a breath test, blow out your nose, not your mouth ... they'll never know :D

moggy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
[
5 when doing a breath test, blow out your nose, not your mouth ... they'll never know :D[/QUOTE]

Want to bet on that?

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
well i dunno about you guys but

1 deny everything - no matter what, you didnt do it ! even if they got proof, IT WASNT YOU or there equipment is faulty
2 dont give attitude ... untill you see the officer get out of their car with a ticket, then it dosnt matter, you've already been booked
3 if your under the influence, when the cops put there lights on, drive on the edge of the road, and wave them around, chances are they arnt after you :)
4 when pulled over ask the officer if they want a smoke or beer, remeber .. sharing is caring
5 when doing a breath test, blow out your nose, not your mouth ... they'll never know :D

Worst advice ever.