Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Do's and Don'ts when getting pulled over

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I just be polite and smile and most times I have been pulled over the kids are in the back and all excited by the police man lol I usually end up having a pleasant chat with them and get told to have a nice day/night. But then again I've never been stupid enough to get caught breaking any road rules so they have no reason to be arseholes to me :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
getting out of the car without being asked is risky. Most times you are probably going to be fine, but I work with police fairly regularly on road, and generally speaking they don't like it and I've seen police rather hastily direct the person to return back to their vehicle. Best to wait in the vehicle and follow their instructions. I also work in enforcement (not police but similar) and there's a couple of reasons we don't like drivers stepping out of the vehicle
1. the drivers own safety - we are responsible for the safety of everyone involved during the intercept, we don't want you stepping out into the line of traffic (believe it or not often people don't think and step out of the car straight out onto the road in front of oncoming traffic) or stand in another position that is a high risk.
2. if we haven't spoken to you before you step out of the vehicle, we are unsure of your demeanor - under certain circumstances it could be taken as an aggressive move.

Hi Darren

You might have worked fairly regulary with them but I spent a working lifetime as a member of the NSW Police Department/Force in an administrative role. Perhaps Qld is different in what it teaches police, and I can understand that some idiots who get pulled over are far better off staying seated. I've had my share of "pull-overs" (far from perfect am I) and on those occasions when I got out of the car, at no time have I been told to get back in.

As a matter of fact, I question the right of police to tell you to stay in your car anyway. They might prefer it, but I'm pretty sure they don't have the authority to direct you to remain in the car or get back in, unless there is a safety issue as you mention.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Hi Darren

You might have worked fairly regulary with them but I spent a working lifetime as a member of the NSW Police Department/Force in an administrative role. Perhaps Qld is different in what it teaches police, and I can understand that some idiots who get pulled over are far better off staying seated. I've had my share of "pull-overs" (far from perfect am I) and on those occasions when I got out of the car, at no time have I been told to get back in.

As a matter of fact, I question the right of police to tell you to stay in your car anyway. They might prefer it, but I'm pretty sure they don't have the authority to direct you to remain in the car or get back in, unless there is a safety issue as you mention.

hi Calabar
Police can actually give you any lawful direction if they have a reason to do so. And that reason can be many things. It could be out of concern for their safety (priority #1), the safety of you and/or your occupants, the safety of the general public, or simply because it is affecting their ability to carry out their duty. So yes if a police officer directs you to stay in your vehicle I would strongly suggest doing so....

If you work with the police then perhaps you could ask them this question yourself. Most states share very similar police powers, so I really can't see there being any difference between the states in that regard. You could also ask them about your rights in regards to failing to comply with a direction to remain in your vehicle.

As for my suggestion that you stay with your vehicle. Most times there isn't going to be a problem (it depends on the officer, situation, your apparent demeanor etc). But if you remain in your vehicle and await police instructions you are far likely less to get started off on the wrong foot. As said, I have seen it myself where officers get rather unsettled when a motorist steps out their vehicle without the officers instruction, particularly as the officer is walking toward the car and that officer has instructed the driver to return to their vehicle. And I've also read quite a few experiences on various car forums (various states) where it hasn't been taken particularly well.

If you really feel it's that important to step out of the vehicle, then that's the choice you make. However I'm recommending that if people wish to take the safer option, then as a general rule, I suggest remaining in the vehicle unless the officer indicates otherwise

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Darren

I don't work for them now. Retired a few years back. Hardly worth the effort trying to ask anybody about that issue, anyway, as I've said, it hasn't caused me any probs when I got out of the car. I have no doubt that some police will try you on and direct you to re-enter your vehicle, but we haven't reached the "police state" yet, so I work on the assumption that there IS a limit to what police can legitimately direct a driver to do. If you park the car correctly and legally, and there is no risk of injury, the only real reason a police officer would insist on you remaining in your car would be for his personal safety. Meh, they have the capsicum spray, the baton and the weapon,so if they have to insist that you re-enter your car, perhaps they are in the wrong job.:smoking:

There was another time I left my car after being pulled over and it was partly because I WAS pissed off with the cop. The first thing I said to him, before he could speak, was "Do you mind telling me exactly why you have pulled me over?" I knew the reason; I was driving my very clean and cared for HR Premier on a Saturday morning. I looked like crap because I had been working on the house and was on my way to the hardware store for materials. He had seen a scruffy looking thirty+ year old in an old Holden and thought it would be an easy mark. I had broken absolutely no laws, but he proceeded to tell me that my towball was obscuring the number plate. It wasn't. It had been sitting in the same spot for twenty years and had never raised a question until this prawn pulled me over. I argued the point with him and told him that I was employed by the Police Department and didn't accept his reason for pulling me over. I suggested that perhaps we should attend the nearest police station where we could "debate" the matter with his supervising Sergeant before I lodged a complaint about harassment. He backed off, saying that he was giving me a warning and didn't normally book people for obscured number plates due to tow-balls. The problem for him was he had his breach book in his hand and I said "Yeah, sure, that's why you brought your breach book with you. You picked the wrong boy this time round, mate."

I got back in my car before I said something I would regret and drove off very carefully. I had a mate with me so a witness was present for the whole incident. That prick was the kind of HWP cop that made life so hard for all the good cops I worked with.

ivabiggen

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz Executive
i think the best thing to do is DONT ACT NORMAL coz that's what got the cop on your arse.

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
I totally agree with being polite, cooperative etc, but if you strike a policeman / woman in a foul mood, then nothing will save you.

20 years back, I was casually driving through the burbs (back streets - not speeding) and then got chased by a policeman travelling in the other direction. Reason, had the old (plus the new) rego sticker on the car. Yep, I know it's an offence in NSW, but FFS to get get chased for it was pretty average, but lesson learned.

Fast forward to 2011, I'm up at Mount Panorama with my club for a BBQ and a few (at the speed limit) laps, as you do. We've done this for a few years, but this time we turn onto Conrod in convoy and hear over the UHF "Is that you Club XYZ?"......."Yes" goes out the reply and we cruise past the copper with radar on Conrod strait, give a nice wave and continue on and enjoy our day on the mountain etc. Leaving Bathurt, in traffic, a few of us get waved over behind another car for an RBT. The ricer in front gets directed to pull over further to the left, but upon spotting us (same policewoman who was on the mountain), we get waved back onto the road, no RBT for us. Moral to the story, do the right thing by the police and they should do the right by you......hopefully.

acex1138

Post Overlord
Reaction score
Members Ride
Kawasaki GPX
cop mate of mine whos in road traffic had some chick pull her top down and offer him a great time if he made everything go away.

He then remarked about the camera in his patrol car that had just recorded all of that....

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
cop mate of mine whos in road traffic had some chick pull her top down and offer him a great time if he made everything go away.

He then remarked about the camera in his patrol car that had just recorded all of that....

Your shortest post EVER

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I follow the u.s rule of thumb which is dont do anything at all unless told.

Pull over as quickly as safe, turn off car and put keys on dash, keep both hands on top of wheel.

Shows them that you have their attention and I haven't copped a fine so far.