Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Double-DIN DVD units

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Hey guys so I've been looking around at some double-din dvd units for my VY.

I'm not going to be spending heaps and it doesn't look like there is much choice around when shopping for 2-din units. Kenwood offer 4 DD units in their new range whilst Pioneer, Sony and Alpine all offer just the one (correct me if I'm wrong). These were the only brands i researched.

IVA-W202E.jpg

Alpine unit

XAVW1_2.jpg

Sony unit

6850DVD_tn_medium1.jpg

Pioneer unit

I only glanced over the multiple offerings Kenwood have and didn't like what i saw. I was liking the look of the Alpine unit until i saw the screen resolution was only 400x234 compared with the Sony unit which is a whopping 800x480. The Pioneer unit is 480x234 but offers a lot more features plus has a 6-disc stacker instead of just a single disc. The Alpine and Sony units are around the same price range and the Pioneer unit is more expensive.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the Sony unit. I think i would rather have better picture quality than a couple more features I would very rarely use. The Pioneer unit is superior in most aspects, besides the screeen res obviously, but i think the extra money could be better spent on other things.

Any thoughts on this? Has anyone had experience with any of the units i have mentioned?

Cheers :thumbsup:

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Pioneer have the AVH-P6050DVD (RRP - $2,199) and AVH-P4050DVD (RRP - $1,399) but they can be bought cheaper from stores and other sources.

I haven't looked at the Sony, but the Pioneer's look pretty clear as they are, much better than previous models (except the AVH-P6850DVD as the 6050 is basically the same).

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Pioneer have the AVH-P6050DVD (RRP - $2,199) and AVH-P4050DVD (RRP - $1,399) but they can be bought cheaper from stores and other sources.

I haven't looked at the Sony, but the Pioneer's look pretty clear as they are, much better than previous models (except the AVH-P6850DVD as the 6050 is basically the same).

Hey cheers for the info. :thumbsup: The only unit i could find listed on the Pioneer site is the 6850. Are the other two newer? The pioneer website is terrible.

I kinda have to rely on internet info as i live in the country and won't get an opportunity to test any of the units hands on. I'd love to see the difference the extra pixels would make with the Sony unit.

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
pioneer FTW. you can get that vehicle dynamics thing for some of them .

Yeah i saw that. They look sweet but the novelty might wear off pretty quick.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Hey cheers for the info. :thumbsup: The only unit i could find listed on the Pioneer site is the 6850. Are the other two newer? The pioneer website is terrible.
Yeah, AVH-P6850DVD was last years model and has been replaced by the AVH-P6050DVD. The AVH-P4050DVD is a new model double DIN with a smaller screen and a few less features to save you some money... BUT... It plays DivX and MP3 from DVD, the 6850 and 6050 don't play DivX and don't play MP3 from DVD, but you have a 6 stacker so you can have 6 MP3 CD's instead. It just depends what features you want.
Try this link: PIONEER CAR AUDIO RANGE 2008 - Visual Audio

dijm8... What model did you get?

albert5268

Texas Hacksaw Massacre
Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII LS1 6 spd
Yeah, AVH-P6850DVD was last years model and has been replaced by the AVH-P6050DVD. The AVH-P4050DVD is a new model double DIN with a smaller screen and a few less features to save you some money... BUT... It plays DivX and MP3 from DVD, the 6850 and 6050 don't play DivX and don't play MP3 from DVD, but you have a 6 stacker so you can have 6 MP3 CD's instead. It just depends what features you want.
Try this link: PIONEER CAR AUDIO RANGE 2008 - Visual Audio

dijm8... What model did you get?

Yeah thanks. I found a lot more info on the US website (on the similar models AVh-P6000DVD and 4000DVD).

The 6000 plays MP3 off DVD... it seems strange the 6050 wouldnt.
MP3 Playback with ID3 Tag DVD or CD
WMA (Windows Media Audio) Playback DVD or CD
iTunes AAC Playback DVD or CD

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I think that may be a mistake regarding the AVH-P6000DVD playing MP3 from DVD as it has the same DVD mech and control board as the AVH-P6050DVD.